PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5170 AT Power Supply Issue fixed

snuci
June 30th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Just for the record in case anyone else is searching for this later...

I purchased an IBM 5170 AT a little while ago. After cleaning it up and purchasing a hard drive, I went to turn it on for the first time and the power supply was dead. No life at all so I didn't see the fan running, no power light, no voltages, nothing.

The original power supply has security screws which are the torx screws with the little nipple inside so you need a special screw driver. I had the correct torx screwdriver but not one with a hole so I could take these off. With a small flat screw driver leaning on the side of the nipple and a hammer, I gave each screw one swift hit and then used a centre punch to dig out the dislodged nipple.

When I opened the power supply, I was fortunate enough to have a dislodged connector from the power socket to the main board. I pushed it back in firmly, put everything back together and we are in business!

I now need a setup disk and will see if I need a CMOS battery to operate but I can't wait. The IBM AT was my first IBM computer and I have it paired with a 5153 monitor and the IBM AT keyboard.

Anyway, I didn't see too much when searching on how to troubleshooting the 5170 power supply so I thought I'd post.

Chuck(G)
June 30th, 2014, 08:29 AM
You know, bits for security Torx are inexpensive. I picked up a set of 100 various security bits at the local Chinese tool store for about $7.

snuci
June 30th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I do need a set of those but I don't have them. This will get you by without much modification.

RWallmow
July 1st, 2014, 04:55 AM
You know, bits for security Torx are inexpensive. I picked up a set of 100 various security bits at the local Chinese tool store for about $7.

Home depot sells a Dewalt set for $8 too http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Torx-Bit-Set-7-Piece-DW2067SCR/202504238.

snuci
July 8th, 2014, 03:24 PM
For the record, I bought a Husk security screwdriver at Home Depot (link here (http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15757.671988_4.jpg)). I also had to take apart an IBM 5155 power supply but couldn't pound the little nipples out of the security torx screws because the CRT was right there. At least now I can safely remove them without harm and as an added bonus, I can remove the screws from public bathroom stalls too :)