PDA

View Full Version : VIC-20 different connectors between US and european version

RetroSweden
July 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM
Hello,

I noticed a difference between my US and european two prong VIC-20's. The PSU connector is different between the two versions.

(Top image is US)
http://i.imgur.com/Gy8bfYJ.png

Does anyone know where to find suitable plug so i can build myself a 240V->9V PSU?

//RS

carlsson
July 2nd, 2014, 12:37 AM
Hm, yes. While I've been aware of the two different two-prongs for years, not until last week it struck me that the smaller one might be exclusive to NTSC units and the bigger one for PAL. I always thought the smaller one was something you see on Japanese VIC-1001 and very early NTSC VIC-20's, but based on posts on AtariAge it appears more common than I thought.

The smaller two-prong plug supposedly can be replaced by a cord for a tape recorder, some battery chargers etc, you know the kind. Obviously you would not plug in 110V or 220V straight into the VIC, just reuse the plug connected to a 9VAC transformer of desired beefiness.

The bigger plug, I don't know if you can source it at all. You might try the same cord and split it in the middle, but it might be a bad fit. I am about to try that myself some day, but I doubt it will be satisfactory.

RetroSweden
July 2nd, 2014, 01:06 AM
Hm, yes. While I've been aware of the two different two-prongs for years, not until last week it struck me that the smaller one might be exclusive to NTSC units and the bigger one for PAL. I always thought the smaller one was something you see on Japanese VIC-1001 and very early NTSC VIC-20's, but based on posts on AtariAge it appears more common than I thought.

This is interesting. I believe my US VIC-20 is an early one. It's a V-serial number (somewhere around ~V010000 i believe) and it has a black/gold label. Does anyone know if the european style plug was ever used in the US?

The smaller two-prong plug supposedly can be replaced by a cord for a tape recorder, some battery chargers etc, you know the kind.

OK, thanks! I never thought about that plug.

Obviously you would not plug in 110V or 220V straight into the VIC, just reuse the plug connected to a 9VAC transformer of desired beefiness.

But imagine how powerful the VIC would be with pure 220V power ;-)

The bigger plug, I don't know if you can source it at all. You might try the same cord and split it in the middle, but it might be a bad fit. I am about to try that myself some day, but I doubt it will be satisfactory.

OK, that one is not a problem. I've got several "European style" transformers. Although i don't want to sacrifice one of them for this, instead i'll buy a modern 9VAC transformer.

I wonder if they changed the connectors to prevent people to plug them in to the wall without that small, yet important, transformer in between.

Thanks for your answers!

//RS

carlsson
July 2nd, 2014, 01:45 AM
Well, the transformer outputs 9VAC no matter the input voltage. The frequency 50/60 Hz would differ, but I don't know if anything inside the VIC-20 depends on the line frequency. Assuming every VIC was delivered with appropriate transformer, I don't see a reason to change the plug. After all, the DIN style VIC/C64 have the same connector no matter if they're NTSC or PAL units, and several other systems taking low voltage AC input also use the same plugs.

It might however be so that the smaller two-prong is a bit on the weak side for the amperages fed through it. IIRC the US 9VAC transformer is rated at 2A while the European one is rated at 3A. I don't know if e.g. the 6561 would draw more power than the 6560, or if it was for safety reasons they upped the transformer and consequently changed the plug to one with thicker pins. I've read in an early issue of Swedish magazine VIC=News or elsewhere about the delay to get VIC-20 to Europe, but I think it was mostly a matter of supply and demand, once they got the 6561 chip sorted out.

crock
July 5th, 2014, 04:12 PM
The smaller two-prong plug supposedly can be replaced by a cord for a tape recorder, some battery chargers etc, you know the kind

No, it's not the same. The spacing is the same but the pins are different diameter. There's a thread on denial about this a couple of years back.

What is the same is the two pin plug commonly found on an electric razor. It does have an official IEC code which I don't recall but I think is on the thread.

Rob

carlsson
July 7th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Hm, ok. The same advice was recently given on AtariAge, so I assumed it'd be a decent fit.