PDA

View Full Version : Has Bailey's bailed?

Terry Yager
September 10th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Is it just me or has the Bailey's TV commercial been recently modified? IIRC, the ad used to end with a depiction of a young man up-ending a bottle into an ice bucket and commencing to drink from it, followed by the obligatory 'drink responsibly' message (which I always found ironic, as if hogging a whole bottle of booze is an example of responsible drinking).
I just saw the same advertisement on the TV, and I noticed that now, instead of pouring mass quantities directly from the bottle, he is shown pouring into a small measure, which he then dumps into the bucket. Did someone from Bailey's ad agency finally snap to the irony, or did the company just reverse it's former stance on the amount of likker that may be responsibly consumed?

--T

dreddnott
September 10th, 2006, 08:50 PM
It sounds to me like a clever satire, but that's probably thinking a bit optimistically (I haven't seen either commercial, a side effect of not ever watching television).

Of course, I absolutely adore Baileys Irish Cream. The only time I ever got drunk was after drinking a whole bottle (the big expensive one from Costco) while at a LAN party. I was apparently friendly and obnoxious and couldn't walk very well, but it didn't seem to affect my skill at Jedi Knight 2, I won anyways.

carlsson
September 11th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Oh yes. It reminds me that the Bailey's web page is not supposed to be accessible from all countries. On the start page, you select from which country you come from and in many cases you get a "Sorry, not allowed" error message. You can fool it and give a different country and be let in though.

I once was in touch with their support, and they claimed national laws vs alcohol advertisments prevents them from letting people from respective countries to visit their own web page. I'm strongly believing they misinterpreted the laws in that case.