PDA

View Full Version : found: IBM PS/1 Consultant Tower (???)

NathanAllan
September 10th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I think I got lucky today, I found an IBM tower PS/1. Here are the specs as far as I can tell without powering it up (yet):

486SX/33 plus OverDrive 66mhz processor,
label says 4mb ram but there's an upgrade in it, a third, different ram chip,
170mb HDD
Has ISA slots on a parallel raised riser board,
one card that says LBA PRO, only half length in the 8-bit area,
5 1/4 fdd, 3 1/2 fdd also,
no outer case,
and I even found a monitor that seems to work prety good with a crisp picture but a black border around the picture. I posted a link below, and you can hit the 'next' link to see all of the pics I just took. A little grainy but you can tell what's what.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rollmeupa20/detail?.dir=d87a&.dnm=7de2scd.jpg&.src=ph

I have yet to power this thing up but all the parts are there, and if it takes ram or a battery then I have both.

I've never seen a PS/1 in a tower :?: Was this a rare thing? I've looked a little bit on google and there are none on ebay like this one. I'll try to hook it all up tomorrow and see what happens.

Nathan

NathanAllan
September 16th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I finally turned it on and got some info from it. It seems to have a bad cmos battery, the hdd is not detected and the processor fan is dead. Funny setup, the proc has it's own heatsink and someone upgraded it with another heatsink on top of it and a fan attached to the new heatsink. I have a fan that I put right on the old heatsink, went on like a champ. 83mhz overdrive, and 12mb of ram iirc. I have a slightly larger hdd for it, it had 170 and I have a two hundred something, should be fine. Lotsa ISA slots, 5 free. Still doing some lookin up on that machine. Lotta empty ram sockets on the mobo, they might be for cache ram. As far as the case goes, I might just screw together some plexiglass just to protect its innards.

IBMMuseum
September 19th, 2006, 09:48 AM
...found an IBM tower PS/1. Here are the specs as far as I can tell without powering it up (yet):

486SX/33 plus OverDrive 66mhz processor,
label says 4mb ram but there's an upgrade in it, a third, different ram chip...

That's L2 cache...

170mb HDD
Has ISA slots on a parallel raised riser board,
one card that says LBA PRO, only half length in the 8-bit area...
The adapter is probably to recognize HDD above 512Mb (and not stock on that system)...

5 1/4 fdd, 3 1/2 fdd also,
no outer case,
and I even found a monitor that seems to work prety good with a crisp picture but a black border around the picture. I posted a link below, and you can hit the 'next' link to see all of the pics I just took. A little grainy but you can tell what's what.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rollme...cd.jpg&.src=ph

I have yet to power this thing up but all the parts are there, and if it takes ram or a battery then I have both.

I've never seen a PS/1 in a tower Was this a rare thing? I've looked a little bit on google and there are none on ebay like this one. I'll try to hook it all up tomorrow and see what happens...

I finally turned it on and got some info from it. It seems to have a bad cmos battery, the hdd is not detected and the processor fan is dead. Funny setup, the proc has it's own heatsink and someone upgraded it with another heatsink on top of it and a fan attached to the new heatsink. I have a fan that I put right on the old heatsink, went on like a champ. 83mhz overdrive, and 12mb of ram iirc. I have a slightly larger hdd for it, it had 170 and I have a two hundred something, should be fine. Lotsa ISA slots, 5 free. Still doing some lookin up on that machine. Lotta empty ram sockets on the mobo, they might be for cache ram. As far as the case goes, I might just screw together some plexiglass just to protect its innards.
I got some PS/1 & Aptiva (which was the "home" model to replace the PS/1) from El Paso too. Tonight I can look at my models to see what is close for more information. You are about three hours' drive from where I live (and passing through El Paso in the next few days to go further South).

NathanAllan
September 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Do you drive a truck? Or just taking a ride? I can't remember anything right now but Sante Fe to the north at the moment. Are there any decent places to look for stuff that you know of either on the west or east side?

I'm not looking for parts just yet for that PS/1. It's a pretty neat system, though, and I'm really glad for the ISA slots. I like to plug things in I guess. Having a plexiglass covered PS/1 sounds like a pretty neat idea. Some people would call that 'customizing.' I call it 'improvising.'

NathanAllan
September 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
My friend Joe who is a ham radio operator is interested in using this thing as a machine for radio-ing. He said I needed a soundblaster card and lo and behold I found one in a box, CT1770, SB16 with scsi onboard. I also found a 3Com ethernet card for it. No case yet, still gotta go get the plexiglass from somewhere. I was thinking about running just dos on it, and maybe a linux now and then. I dunno. Now the project has a purpose! Radio!

NathanAllan
September 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Okay, threw in the drive and booted up. I'm glad I keep stuff like that! Turns out the overdrive is a 486dx 50, better than the sx/30 it has. Win 3.11, lotsa apps, like winzip, pkzip, adobe 3, and a bunch of other stuff. I then installed that 3com, went ahead and installed the novell suite it came with though windows reports no network present and no drivers installed. Working on that(been a while since I worked with 3.1) The SB16 went in flawlessly with all accessories and now it makes great noises. This is progress.

This thread looks kinda funny since I have posted most of the replies.

chuckcmagee
September 20th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Well, if it's Windows and not WFW, then it's mostly just getting all the network stuff loaded in DOS before 3.1 starts. That was always a real pain, getting all that stuff loaded, mostly trying to get it to "loadhigh" so some conventional memory is left.