PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting help for making some 8" disks from .td0 images

Nama
July 4th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Hi,
Just wondering if there was anyone here who can help me. I'm looking for someone who has the ability to make 8" disks from .td0 (Teledisk) disk images.
This would probably need someone who has hooked-up an 8" drive to their PC, and can run either Teledisk (or Imagedisk) in DOS.

The disk Images I'd really like to get made to real 8" floppies are:

sol20-1.td0
sol20-2.td0
sol20-3.td0

...which can be found here:

http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/8inch/

I believe these are CP/M 2.2 images for the SOL20 + Morrow Disk Jockey 2D FDC.
If anyone is willing to help I'd be extremely thankful.

Thanks for reading.

Philip

Nama
July 5th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I converted the three .td0 files to .imd (Imagedisk) files so I could use the imagedisk viewer utility to see if I could find out more about these files.

I found the CP/M boot screen message:

48K CP/M Vers. 2.2, Cbios rev 2.5.26
For Morrow Designs with:
Disk Jockey 2D Controller @ 05000H
SOL I/O

...that 5000H address seems a little strange as I was expecting it to be at E000H or F000H or something like that. Isn't the 5000H address right in the middle of user RAM?
Is this 5000H address typical for floppy disk controllers and CP/M?

Phil

new_castle_j
July 6th, 2014, 05:13 AM
I've got the necessary equipment to create disks from those images, PM me.

Chuck(G)
July 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM
I suspect that one thing that kept some from replying was the lack of any location information. For all we know, you could be located in Tristan da Cunha.

Nama
January 19th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Took a bit of time, but I was able to get it working:

I initially had trouble getting the drive and the disks made by new_castle_j to do anything in my system.

I had hooked up my logic analyser to the Morrow card to see what was happening to all the drive lines. What I saw as absolutely no data on the DATA READ line.
I did some more internet searching and found an article about hooking the same drives as mine (NEC 8881 with NEC FD1165 mechanisms) up to another machine, but needed to switch over a jumper. I pulled the drive apart and switched over the VFO jumpers on the drives, and instantly I saw data coming through on the analyser.
After quite a bit of playing around with EPROMs, PROMs and memory maps, I was able to discover that the controller actually needed to be at E000H, and not 5000H as stated on the CP/M splash screen.

Once I set it up this way I was able to boot off the 8" disks that new_castle_j had provided. He had made these disks on his tweener PC hooked up to his 8" drives using imagedisk software.

However...
The disks were basically unusable. 'Bdos errors: bad sector' constantly showing. I could hardly do a DIR listing, let alone run any software from the floppies.
What I did was to soft-reset the machine so CP/M was still in memory and manually loaded FORMT#.COM via serial, then I was able to formatted a new blank floppy. I did the same with SYSGEN.COM, and could (after many failed attempts) move CP/M from memory onto the newly formatted disk.

Now I just need to populate the disks with software and I can check this project off.

Thanks all.