PDA

View Full Version : Perkin-Elmer 1610 (Interdata 8-16) restoration...

oldcomputerexpert
July 6th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I have had this system in storage for about 33 years now, so I thought I would pull it out and get it working. After replacing a capacitor on the memory board and cleaning contacts on the tape drive I was able to get it powered up. I had to figure out the pin connections and baud rate on the interface board. I used an old laptop as a serial terminal.
The Perkin-Elmer 1610 is a slightly redesigned Interdata 8-16 and was to be sold as a 16 bit version of the 32 bit 3220 systems. I don't know how many were sold, this one was an evaluation system bought by the company I worked for to test the memory boards they were designing and building. The system uses a microcoded bit-slice CPU based on the AM2901 chips.
I had attached an old Ampex tape drive, which seems to still work, however I don't have any software to load at this time. I seem to recall loading diagnostics and possably OS/16, but the tape I had with the system doesn't seem to have anything on it (or is no longer readable). I have been looking for a copy of OS/16 on sites like Bitsavers, but no luck. If anyone has a copy (or any other Interdata 16 bit software) please let me know.
This is the CPU board.

Memory board.
Card cage. CPU board on top, memory board, Loader interface board, and Mag Tape interface board.

Boot loader ready to load tape image.
System in relay rack. Ampex tape drive on top, PE 1610 rack, and power supply. The old core memory unit at the bottom is not connected.

toober
July 7th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I have a small amount of Interdata software from the early days (specifically, the model 14), but I can not remember if I sent it to Al yet. No later period Interdata software, sorry.

--
Will

oldcomputerexpert
July 10th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Iím not familiar with the model 14, do you mean the model 4? If what you have is 16 bit Interdata software it would still be useful for several models as I believe many have the same microcoded instruction set. I have a couple model 1ís I have been trying to restore. They are an 8 and 16 bit instruction set similar to the model 2,3 and 4.
I once had a collection of paper tapes and a few mag tapes for several Interdata systems. Mostly diagnostics, but some OS32 and possibly OS16. When we received the systems from Perkin-Elmer the manuals always had a set of paper tapes attached, and various mag tapes included. My old business partner ended up with most of them and he may still have them (he was like me, never throws anything away), but he has been out of contact for about 20 years and I havenít been able to find himÖ. Anyway, I would like to help upload any software you can find to BitSavers.org if possible.

toober
July 11th, 2014, 02:17 PM
The model 14 is a variant of the model 4. I think the difference is the 14's built in communications multiplexor.

--
Will

rsanchov
December 15th, 2016, 04:18 AM
Hi

I've spotted a bunch of files that seems Interdata OS/16

ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/cm/interdata/

May be is what you where looking for.
Do you think is possible to load them in SimH emulator?

Regards