PDA

View Full Version : History Channel does it again.

Terry Yager
September 12th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I was watching a documentary about the battle of Okinawa, and they momentarily focused on a certain American destroyer, which had fended-off 22 Kamikazi attacks in an 80-minute period. The narator stated that '32 men' lost thier lives. Wait a minute, is that 32 including the 22 Japanese pilots who died, or does the History Channel not consider them men (like the Indians killed at Little Big Horn)?

--T

DoctorPepper
September 12th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah, boy that's one sticky wicket!

You're correct though, if THC meant American sailors, they should have said "32 American sailors lost their lives".

atari2600a
September 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Well think about it, does the death count of 9/11 count the opposing side? (AKA the suicide terrorists)

I completely see where you're going w/ that though...

Terry Yager
September 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Well think about it, does the death count of 9/11 count the opposing side? (AKA the suicide terrorists)

I completely see where you're going w/ that though...

I think that the only place I was going is that THC (why does that acronym make me hungry?) should be more careful about how they word such statements, especially when referring to a population who have been characterized as sub-human in the American propaganda of the day (including both Native Americans and the Japanese).

--T

carlsson
September 13th, 2006, 05:04 AM
THC = Terry's Homemade Chicken? :-)

DoctorPepper
September 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
THC = Terry's Homemade Chicken? :-)

Eh, how about "The History Channel" :-)

carlsson
September 14th, 2006, 07:58 AM
But the acronym made Terry hungry, and no matter how interested you are in history, you can't eat it. Well, unless you consider old food that has expired in the cupboard a part of the history.

bbcmicro
September 14th, 2006, 10:17 AM
........yes

DoctorPepper
September 14th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Well, unless you consider old food that has expired in the cupboard a part of the history.

Obviously you haven't looked in my fridge lately! :-)