PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5160 blown psu

Adam Walsh
July 25th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Hey guy's, i recently acquired a IBM PC/XT for free :D but alas my joy ended when i flipped the switch and the psu blew up in my face ... anyhow im fairly sure just by the condition the motherboard/cards might still work so at the moment im looking for a replacement psu if anybody knows where i can get one for a decent price let me know, Thanks.

bobba84
July 30th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Here's one I saw recently on eBay in in Australia:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130W-power-supply-for-IBM-PC-XT-5160-/151328623688?pt=AU_Computers_Vintage&hash=item233be38c48

But be prepared to spend the cost of it again on postage.

SpidersWeb
July 30th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Did you try it again afterwards?

I'd take a few minutes to find out what's wrong - these supplies aren't a dime a dozen.

The most common fault is the input filtering caps - these usually make a loud bang and/or sizzle noise and lots of smoke, but the supply will usually still operate correctly afterwards.
The next common fault is a cap on the motherboard which has shorted out - this will cause the supply to shut off and appear dead (no fan etc) because it's safety mechanism has tripped (replacing the PSU wont help with this one if you find it to happening to you).

Most IBM's I get (5150/5160/6150) have all blown their PSU filter caps within the first 30 minutes of usage, and half of them have needed a motherboard cap removed to start.

Malc
July 31st, 2014, 12:24 AM
Ditto to what SpidersWeb said, The Line filtering Caps ( X2 Caps ) are cheap to buy, It will cost you a lot more if you bought another PSU and unless you know for sure that the caps have been renewed, It'll likely go pop again soon after you get it and you'll be back in the same situation. Obvious safety rules apply, If you don't have any experience in repairing PSU's get somebody who does, To either help or do the job.

Adam Walsh
August 7th, 2014, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm only seeing them now im new and used to email notifications about thread replies,
Anyhow if my current supply is in fact still working that would be great. also the bang was definitely from the psu ill give her a try and see what i get ill post results tonight :)

Adam Walsh
August 7th, 2014, 02:56 AM
yeah shipping to IE would probably be Alot but i appreciate the help :)