PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum

MikeModifed
July 26th, 2014, 07:12 PM
and, as a DOSboy of sorts, new to everything related to it.

Last Saturday I bought a fairly new Unix box off of C/L (Sun Ultra5, 256m, 333mHz, 9.1g, Solaris 9).
The person I bought if from got it at a yardsale and couldn't get it past the login.
I did some reading was able to boot single user, then guessed the
System Maintenance (?) password (bless the person who reset it "password").
After learning about "root" and with "password", I was into the system!

After lots of reading on the web (most of which knowledge I don't have),
and lots of struggling, I had a EUREKA! moment this evening: I configured
my router with the hostname, etc. that I assigned the Sun: I am on this forum
from my Sun!

But, I need some advise. The browser on this system is Netscape 4.78 and is
really antiquated (text-based pretty much, no wordwrap in the text box I'm typing
this message in). Recommendations, please, for something modern that will
work with what I have.

TIA

Mike

SkydivinGirl
July 26th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Hi Mike!

I cannot help you with your question, but I can welcome you to the forum. So... Welcome! :)

Heather

Caluser2000
July 26th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Welcome Mike. Nathens Toastytech Gui site shows Solaris 9 running a version of Firefox and no dought a version of Opera will work with it.

SomeGuy
July 26th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Solaris 8 and 9 will run up to Firefox 2.0.0.x. At least, I am not aware that anyone has back ported newer versions.
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/2.0.0.20/contrib
For 9, you use the ones marked Solaris 8. To test it out, you can just untar the tared version in to a user folder and run it from there. As I recall, there was also a Solaris 8/9 version of Flash 7 that you could use with Firefox.

MikeModifed
July 27th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Perfect! Thank you, all!

Mike

mu301
July 27th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Opera dropped support for Solaris about 4 years ago but you can still download the last version at Opera for Solaris SPARC (http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=solaris-sparc&list=all). Opera runs pretty well on Solaris 10 but you may have some trouble with certain common websites like gmail or facebook. For many years my desktop machine at work was Solaris with Opera, but I switched to linux due to some websites not working properly after Opera updates ended. The Opera download page is not clear about what the minimum Solaris version is but I would suspect that 9 is recent enough to support it. Personally, I prefer Opera over Firefox on Sun.

FWIW, I have installed Solaris 10 on a system similar to yours, although with a little bit more memory, and it ran fine. If you register for a free account at Oracle you can download the ISO (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris10/downloads/index.html) of the install media. The Ultra 5 is officially supported in the 1/13 release. It might be easier to get a more recent browser on the newer version of Solaris.

Are you sure that firefox is not already installed somewhere on the disk? I can't remember what was included with Solaris 9 but on 10 there is firefox and mozilla. Try typing "ls /usr/sfw/bin" and look for mozilla or try "ls /usr/bin" and see if firefox is there. Use "find / -name firefox" (logged in as root) to search the entire disk.

-mikeu

Caluser2000
July 27th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Good for you. It's generally good practice to set up a user account if you haven't done so already and use that for web browsing etc.

MikeModifed
July 27th, 2014, 05:48 PM
struggle/mumble/learn - repeat as needed

firefox installed per instructions ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/2.0.0.20/contrib/solaris_tarball/README.txt
java enabled per instructions
flash installed per instructions

as root:

# /opt/sfw/lib/firefox/firefox
Error: Can't open display:
# Patch checker failure. Please apply the missing Solaris patches.
# uname -a
SunOS cragar 5.9 Generic_112233-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
#

Continuing.

Mike

tingo
August 4th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I've never tried in Solaris, but often you can do this:

# DISPLAY=:0.0 /opt/sfw/lib/firefox/firefox

if you need to start X programs as root (for testing only of course, as doing that on a regular basis is bad practice).
You need to supply the correct value for $DISPLAY, if it differs from ":0.0".
To find out do

$ echo $DISPLAY
as your regular (X) user.

TeamBlackFox
August 17th, 2014, 11:00 AM
May want to check out NetBSD's pkgsrc for Solaris and see if it has a modern build of Firefox in it. I doubt it as it didn't for IRIX either, but if you can bootstrap it you may find what you need out of it.