PDA

View Full Version : 8088/8086 accelerators and modifications

stynx
August 3rd, 2014, 10:43 AM
Hi, i have modified several accelerator cards für 8088-based PCs. My first try was with 286 accelerators (Orchid TwinTurbo, Breakthru,...). I have archived good results in terms of speed. Some Boards could reach 20mhz with new sram (15ns) and a 25mhz-class Harris 286. I replaced the 286 with a 386sx CPU replacement Board which i upgraded to a IBM486SLC2 with 50Mhz. All these Upgrades were fun, but all games and programs would be limited to 640k. I tried to expand the memory by using an UMB-Card (128k) but that will not help to get past the 640k barrier. A better solution had to be found. The Intel Inboard was just the thing i was looking for. The optional 2 or 4mb of Memory would give me the the means to play some advanced DOS-games on an 1984 PC XT. I bought my 1st Inboard and ... no expansion :-( ... why not modify the thing until i get an expansion? I upgraded the 386DX16 to an 386DX33 and clocked the board to 25mhz. I replaced the 387 with a 487 and later the 386DX with a TI486DLC then with a TI486DLC2. Recently i have received another Inboard, this time with the 2mb Expansion :-D. In DOS DOS4/GW automatically identifies the Inboard and configures Games and programs to use the XMS. 2mb is a bit limited 4mb or more are needed. Therefore i analyzed the Memory daughter board and have a (nearly) complete pinout of the 2 40pin expansion-connectors. It turns out that the expansion-connector will support 8mb of memory... in a near perfect PS2-module compatible way. A 2-banked 8mb 72pin memory module should be perfect and only 5 support-ICs are needed to interface the module.
More details are found here:

286 accelerator for the original PC XT (http://forum.classic-computing.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4892)

Intel Inboard pinout (http://forum.classic-computing.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=6526)

Its in german but the pictures and files should talk for themselves ;-)

stynx
January 3rd, 2015, 02:04 AM
Current layout of the Inboard 386 8mb memory expansion card in development... there will be some modifications, but the signals and pinouts seem to fit.

Chuck(G)
January 3rd, 2015, 09:34 AM
I think that it's worth noting that at least here in the US, XT-type accelerators were pretty uncommon. One reason was the ascent of clones--mostly from Taiwan--and the 5170-class machines that offered much more power than the lowly XT.

stynx
January 4th, 2015, 05:35 AM
I think that it's worth noting that at least here in the US, XT-type accelerators were pretty uncommon. One reason was the ascent of clones--mostly from Taiwan--and the 5170-class machines that offered much more power than the lowly XT.

It was the same here in Europe. You could easily get a new cheap clone mainboard from taiwan with a 10 or 12mhz 8088, 286 or later even 386 CPU cheaper than a similar accelerator. Most people just bought a new PC when they got cheap enough (less then 800DM = about $300 in 1988). There were a lot small electronics shops here in Germany (even 3 in our little village) that could get you these and install them in your computer. The hardware wasn't expensive, the installation was ;-)

The Inboard and similar accelerators were more or less niche products and i can't really say where this niche even was, maybe the portables? I have 4 different kinds of accelerator boards (8088->286, 8088->386, 286->386, ...) and several replacement cpu-upgrades but all these are indeed very rare.

-Jonas

krebizfan
January 4th, 2015, 05:44 AM
The Inboard and similar accelerators were more or less niche products and i can't really say where this niche even was, maybe the portables? I have 4 different kinds of accelerator boards (8088->286, 8088->386, 286->386, ...) and several replacement cpu-upgrades but all these are indeed very rare.

-Jonas

The accelerator's niche was large companies that had strict approval processes for a new computer but any expansion card was automatically accepted. Money was wasted and the accelerated system still had to be retired quickly as newer software wouldn't run on the accelerator.