PDA

View Full Version : Silpheed on PC-8801FA

yukin
August 6th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Here is just a link to one of my videos playing Silpheed on my PC-8801FA

This game is soooo good and the musics are epic.

enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHbDyUiA_gU

Maverick1978
August 7th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Nice! I'm looking for the Sierra PC-8801 games for my collection. And then probably a PC-8801 to play them on :)

vwestlife
August 7th, 2014, 02:15 PM
The NEC PC-8801 was briefly sold in the USA as the PC-8801A, but that model did not have the improved sound and graphics capabilities of the later PC88 series models in Japan, which made them popular for gaming.

yukin
August 8th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Nice! I'm looking for the Sierra PC-8801 games for my collection. And then probably a PC-8801 to play them on :)

This game is not made by Sierra at all. They were only the publisher outside of japan. Gamearts did all the work. Same for Thexder and Zeliard.

Maverick1978
August 15th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Yes, but there were other games that Sierra did release into the Japanese market as part of the "share" with Game Arts that allowed them to distribute Zeliard/Thexder/Silpheed in the US. King's Quest V was among those. I consider those part of the "Sierra" collectible universe in much the same way as the original Coktel Vision, Papyrus, and Impressions releases of Gobliins, Indycar Racing, etc are part of the sierra universe prior to their re-release under the Sierra labels.

98digger
August 16th, 2014, 05:09 PM
@yukin

Looks like you have a PC-88 with built in Yamaha sound! Very nice! :)
Did you know that Silpheed's intro actually takes its text from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar?:p

Actually, I'm waiting for own my NEC PC to arrive, which also has built-in Yamaha sound, but mine is a PC-9821, the final product in the NEC PC line. The PC-98 series is home to many great games, so you might want to check it out! :p

yukin
August 18th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Nice, you will surely have lot of fun with your PC-9821. I already have a PC-9801 model FA but it doesn't have the FM chip in it :( and the CPU is to slow for the games i want to play on it. Im currently looking for a PC-9821 model xe10/4-z. it seems to be a really good model(would like to be able to play policenaut on it :).

98digger
August 18th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Nice, you will surely have lot of fun with your PC-9821. I already have a PC-9801 model FA but it doesn't have the FM chip in it :( and the CPU is to slow for the games i want to play on it. Im currently looking for a PC-9821 model xe10/4-z. it seems to be a really good model(would like to be able to play policenaut on it :).

PC-9821 Xe10 sounds fine. Just make sure it will work with the PC-9801-86 FM sound board (it has no built-in FM sound). Here is a list site with helpful info on which models work with/include the sound chip:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA004562/ray/tips.htm

Actually, I'd recommend you buy an A-Mate model. They have good CPU's, built-in FM sound ( YM2608 ) and good expandability options.

This forum is where many of the English-speaking PC-98 owners (I'm on it too) talk. They might be able to help you out with choosing/finding a PC-9821 and getting it to work :):

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?board=24.0