PDA

View Full Version : MSX Computers (Japan)

Smack2k
August 7th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Anyone with any experience with MSX machines? If someone were to get 1 model of the machine from Japan, which model would it be to play the most games and have expandability within that genre?

Thanks!

NeXT
August 7th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I used to own a Yamaha CX5MII. Great machine if you normally loaded form cassette/cartridges or did stuff with MIDI but you needed a floppy adapter and drive for everything else. The guy I traded it away to apparently upgraded it further.

jltursan
August 7th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Undoubtedly go for a Panasonic MSX2+ machine. The reasons are the following:

1) MSX1: No one is going to pay an expensive import for a cheap computer.
2) MSX2: Good machines; but they lack some great features from MSX2+ models (graphics, audio and some other extras).
3) TurboR: Top machines; but also top prices. If you can afford them and you have solder skills go for an FS-A1ST and expand its RAM to 512KB. If you feel crazy, try to get a GT.

The MSX2+ models benefit for the V9958 (19000+ colors, hardware scroll) and MSX-Music sound (9 FM channels). The Panasonic machines have also a Turbo CPU mode that increases its speed to 5,38Mhz. They're also cool looking machines.
The only machine you need to avoid is the FX, it's a low cost model without MSX-Music. Right ones are WX and WSX models.
Beware the WSX doesn't have a tape input (needs a hack to get it); so if you have plans to load tape software you'll need the WX.

Oscar
August 8th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Hi,

Anyone with any experience with MSX machines? If someone were to get 1 model of the machine from Japan, which model would it be to play the most games and have expandability within that genre?

I really like the Philips NMS-8250 (1 floppy) or 8255 (2 drives). They are solid MSX2 machines, and if you add a SD for mass storage they are very competent Z80 all-round machines. They look good and tend to live forever (hence their abundance on second-hand sites in Europe).

A MSX2+ is better, of course, but much more expensive to find I believe.

A good NMS-8250 should cost you around $70 or so. Beware of the PAL/NTSC gap though.

Regards,

Oscar.

Jack.
August 9th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Hi there!
I'm an MSX user, and i've got both a Philips VG8020 MSX, which is just good for basic programs, if you have a cassette deck, And a Philips NMS 8245 which is the "all-in-one" version of the 8250. It's a capable machine, and it sports a lot of RAM. I got mine for 50€, even if not mint, but from a trusted seller. The disk drives are reported to be an issue but i effectively replaced mine with a 1.44mb one, not without problems though! :p
To make an example of its capabilities, you can run Metal Gear (even Disk. Version) on it!
MSX are awesome machines, simple, rugged and powerful all-rounders. I guess they are the best expression of home computers!

yukin
August 15th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I currently have a Msx2+ Sony F1XV and it working really great.

inakito
August 16th, 2014, 06:41 AM
In case anyone is interested, I have a Panasonic AWSX1 MSX2+ for sale, updated to 512KB, with RGB cable and refursbished floppy disk drive.

carlsson
August 18th, 2014, 05:04 AM
I agree with Oscar, in that a MSX2+ seems significantly more expensive (and uncommon) than a "basic" MSX2 computer. If you're the handy type, you might be able to upgrade an existing one too, a friend of mine took his SVI-738 which already from the beginning is kind of a "MSX 1.5" and changed VDP, increased RAM, replaced ROM etc to turn it into a MSX2+ computer.

Check the library of programs, in particular games you want to play. See how many benefit or require the plus model, check the market and make a decision. In any case, MSX1 models most probably are not worth the often overseas shipping, but of course if you find one locally at a decent price it is another matter.