PDA

View Full Version : Datatrain DPC-1000, some questions

RaptorZX3
August 10th, 2014, 12:13 AM
i'm about to get this computer, today. I heard it's, quickly said, a clone of the IBM 5150 computer, so a 8088 in it. i don't have much else being told, so...i want to know, is it as good at the 5150 performance-wise? is it more compatible with hardware? i have the impression the real IBM 5150 is more cramped space-wise for a hard disk, or maybe even the default power supply wouldn't give enough juice for the hard disk, so maybe a clone is better in the end?

I don't have a screen for now, as the video card seem to have a CGA (or whatever) connector so i can't use VGA monitors on it. So i may end up putting it somewhere or selling it if i can't find any screen that work on it...

Ole Juul
August 10th, 2014, 02:05 AM
I believe that's an XT clone, not like a 5150 but like a 5160. It runs faster and is much more powerful. I don't know the details of the model, but this generation of computer is very elegant. The PSU may or may not support a HDD but that was an expensive option for the time. It is period correct and would have been more common, to operate it with two floppy drives. That's a way of computing that is worth learning and experiencing if you haven't done it before.

If you can get a monochrome (TTL) screen for it that would be the best.