PDA

View Full Version : ZX Microdrives

NeXT
August 10th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I recently did a trade with someone for a ZX Spectrum+ and a microdrive and I am aware that they do have problems with tape stretch because the motor starts too quickly. Was there ever a modification to more slowly ramp up the motor speed or was the timing too critical? I am aware that this was all fixed on the QL but I can't find any details on what they did beyond the wiki article.

jltursan
August 11th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Maybe the motor speed mod can solve some issues (never heard about it tho); but the main drawback of the microdrives is its felt pad, most of the cartridges you can find right now are literally disintegrating. They're really a no go.

NeXT
August 12th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I noticed that when I inspected the cartridges. I've purchased some 3mm thick adhesive backed felt pads used to prevent furniture from scratching floors. I'm sure with some careful xacto work I can get that taken care of tomorrow. I did the same thing with my old Tandy software cassettes, only those pads were twice the size.

jltursan
August 12th, 2014, 11:19 PM
You can find even new replacement felt pads in the market; but your approach can work, it has been done before :-)
Beware the tiny metal bar where the pad is glued, it's extremely weak and it can break or deform with little effort.

You'll need also to clean inside the microdrive. It the worn-out cartridges has been used, the pads are prone to leave a lot of waste in the heads and the surroundings.

NeXT
August 16th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Well the pads are done at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3tsCT-Ivk