PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite Pro 405CS

Paver007
August 15th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Hi guys, I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 405 CS. This very cool piece of junk was my dads in 1995. When I was about 9 years old, I stumbled upon this computer in the garage. Of course finding this computer was like the discovery of aliens. After about 3 days of looking for the charger, finding out the password, etc, I turned on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 405 CS. That was 4 years ago...

About 3 years ago I decided I was going to take apart this computer, and because I did not use the correct screw drivers I stripped a lot of screws, I used force not logic, I ended up with a broken computer. Although my dad did not give a punishment, I felt bad for what I did.

Now I started to restore this computer. Before it would not turn on, now it does, but there is no screen activity. I NEED HELP! Usually I go on the web and look at solutions through YouTube, but there are hardly any videos. If you know anything about old Toshiba computers please let me know. If you need more info about the computer let me know. Thanks

modem7
August 15th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Welcome to these forums.

A predecessor to the Satellite Pro 405 is the Satellite Pro 400. For the 400, Toshiba issued an alert letter ([here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshiba/Toshiba.htm#400)]) that contains, "The bad battery will not be recognized by the system and will not hold a charge. Additionally, with AC power connected and the bad battery installed, the internal display will stay dark after initial power up."

Maybe the 405 is similarly affected, and maybe you have a bad battery (or one that needs a lot more charging).

Try powering up the computer after the main battery has been removed.

g4ugm
August 16th, 2014, 01:21 AM
If you had searched the forums of "Toshiba Service" you might have found this link:-

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?42531-Toshiba-Atlas-CDs

which points to this site

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshiba/Toshiba.htm#405

but sadly there is nothing for the 405CS but there are many manuals for the 400CS and 410CS which may help..
.. it might also be worth adding to the post asking about the 405 or PMing the original poster...

g4ugm
August 16th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Sorry , I must also say that Toshiba were very protective of their intellectual property rights and so service and maintenance information is hard to come by. Machines were build so they were deliberately hard to dismantle and re-assemble. The BIOS was often tweaked so you could only use Toshiba disk drives and even then sometimes only ones of specific sizes...

modem7
August 16th, 2014, 02:17 AM
but sadly there is nothing for the 405CS but there are many manuals for the 400CS and 410CS which may help..
.. it might also be worth adding to the post asking about the 405 or PMing the original poster...
I am the original poster that you are referring to. The two ATLAS CD-ROMs did not contain any information on the 405.

juicylemon
September 7th, 2014, 11:59 AM
As a first check I would open the case to see check if all the ribbon cables are connected correctly. Also check if the bios battery isn't leaking and if there are any signs of leaking capacitors. Then try to power up the laptop with the least amount of peripherals. Do you see anything on the screen when the laptop is connected to an external monitor?