PDA

View Full Version : Leading Edge Monochrome Monitor trouble shooting help?

Gribnitz
August 16th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I have a leading edge Model D and the Leading Edge monochrome monitor. The monitor did not work when I got it, but it did power on. I replaced what looked like a potentially bad capacitor (none are obviously bad) and now I get a display, but the display looks like the pictures. Run together words, overlapping words? The horizontal and vertical do nothing to fix it. Is it the magnets on the yoke? How do you fix that without getting electrocuted?

bettablue
August 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Don't hold me to it, but I ran into something similar a while back. The problem was relatively simple to resolve. I was using the wrong display mode. I tried other resolutions and viola! Everything fell into place. There may be other issues, but try the mode command in DOS to see if you can correct it that way first. Then if its still overlapping, then I would look for other possible capacitors that may need changing.

After that, I have no clue. I am no video technician myself, but this should give you a start.

modem7
August 16th, 2014, 03:22 PM
How confident are you that the replacement capacitor was of the same type and value?

SomeGuy
August 16th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Is this an MDA or mono CGA/composite monitor? I think these machines supported both. If it is MDA, look for a color/mono switch and set it to mono. If it is composite, you would want still want "color" mode.

Of course, where there is one bad capacitor there could be others.

Gribnitz
August 16th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Is this an MDA or mono CGA/composite monitor? I think these machines supported both. If it is MDA, look for a color/mono switch and set it to mono. If it is composite, you would want still want "color" mode.

Of course, where there is one bad capacitor there could be others.

YAH! Thank you! I totally forgot it had that tiny switch on the back between the MONO/CGA plugs! That fixed it and it is like new now! Woot! Finally got one fixed, now onto the Amiga 3000.

Gribnitz
August 16th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Here it is in all it's glory. Now I can put it back in it's boxes :)