PDA

View Full Version : SHARP PC-1500 and loading .wav files

Nama
August 18th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone with a Sharp PC-1500 or TRS-80 PC2 have had troubles loading .wav files from this site:

http://www.pc1500.com

When I play the downloaded .wav files they seem to sound very scratchy, and the PC-1500 can't load them, and doesn't even seem to see them.
The only file that it seems to start to load it the BlackJack (bj.wav) file. It soon stops with an error though. The sound of this file seems much cleaner, and looking at the wave form in Audacity is seems more like an analog sample, rather than the other .wav files which look like some kind of output from an emulator (meaning the wave forms are sharp and perfect).

I know my system works as I have tested by saving a program that I had typed in, then reloading it back with success.

Does anyone have any insights?

Cheers

Phil

tingo
August 19th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Have you tried changing the volume of the playback?

Nama
August 19th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Tingo, thanks for the reply. I had, of course tried the levels without success.
I pulled out my old thinkpad and tried loading using audacity on that, and it worked!!! Kinda.
Seems that both my MacBook Air and older MacBook can't play the leader part of the .wav file. When I play it on these macines this first part is silent. On my old thinkpad it works.

My next issue is that I get an error 42 on more than 70% of the files I try to load immediately after the file name loads. I have been able to load some .wav program however, which in itself is a vast improvement over 2 days ago.

Phil

pavery
August 19th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Phil

I loaded successfully from that website a year ago. I too had trouble getting my PC-2 working with Audacity initially. On my Windows laptop I had to: boost mic level to +20dB & disable Noise Suppression & DC Offset.

Philip

Corey986
August 20th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Hey maybe that will help with my Radio Shack PC-1 audio issues. I have to backup all the tapes I have and use a computer to load them. My MacBooks seem to not be able to produce enough volume to do it and when I do get the volume high enough with audacity it's too distorted to load.

I'll pull out a PC and try those settings when I get a chance. Part of this volume issue I'm sure is related to the pocket computer needing an "ear" level not "aux" level on the cassette. Modern earphone levels seem to be lower than in the past. I'm not sure if they are also a different impedance.

Cheers,
Corey

natcha
August 20th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Hey maybe that will help with my Radio Shack PC-1 audio issues. I have to backup all the tapes I have and use a computer to load them. My MacBooks seem to not be able to produce enough volume to do it and when I do get the volume high enough with audacity it's too distorted to load.

I'll pull out a PC and try those settings when I get a chance. Part of this volume issue I'm sure is related to the pocket computer needing an "ear" level not "aux" level on the cassette. Modern earphone levels seem to be lower than in the past. I'm not sure if they are also a different impedance.

Cheers,
Corey

Most devices/computers today have limits on the headphone output so as not to damage the ears.

I use a set Bose amplified speakers with my computer. The speakers have an earphone jack that can produce very strong volume. Works great with my Sharp PC-1600 to create WAV files. The old Data Cassette decks could produce a very strong volume out, which is what the Sharp was designed to use.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

vwestlife
August 20th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Most devices/computers today have limits on the headphone output so as not to damage the ears.

The sound circuitry in newer computers also tends to have audio "enhancement" features like bass boost, noise reduction, and SRS "3D" stereo expansion that may or may not be possible to disable, all of which will distort the waveform being reproduced and may cause a tape-based computer to reject a wave file you're trying to load into it via its cassette interface.