PDA

View Full Version : RDX backup

Unknown_K
August 21st, 2014, 02:10 PM
Today I got in a Dell RD 1000 removable backup drive with 3 x 80GB carts. Never seen RDX drives before and on inspection they just look like a SATA laptop drive encased in a plastic box for protection. Kind of expensive for what they are, and proprietary in their format so the drives cannot be replaced in the cart or cart drives cannot be used with a generic SATA to USB cable.

Anybody bother to use this media? Seems like a decently fast reliable method to backup data from a somewhat modern USB equipped laptop. For a $12 investment (docking drive, ps, 3 carts, USB cable) it was worth playing with. I do kind of wonder how long the carts would last on the shelf if they are just generic laptop drives.

SkydivinGirl
August 22nd, 2014, 05:44 AM
At the company where I work, I switched from tape backups to RDX drives a couple years ago. This was mostly due to the fact that the amount of data we have was starting to outpace the speed of the tape system we were using.

The drives in the RDX cartridges have ESD protection and physical shock protection. This allows me to treat them more like tapes because I don't need to worry about the drives bouncing around when I take the off-site every day. The USB 3 interface also gives the speed that we require to perform backups in a short amount of time.

Yes, they are expensive but you're paying for the better reliability of the drives. So far, I haven't had a single issue with the 15 RDX cartridges that we use. :)

Heather

Unknown_K
August 22nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
I think I can use 1tb+ drives with the same dock so its not like you outgrow the drive.

SkydivinGirl
August 22nd, 2014, 06:25 PM
Yep, the docks are future size compatible. We started out with 1TB cartridges but we have added additional docks and 1.5TB cartridges. Earlier this year, the 2TB cartridges were introduced. The nice thing is that I can keep adding docks to expand the storage capabilities by using the old and new cartridges together.

Heather