PDA

View Full Version : Whence WinFLP SP3?

Chuck(G)
August 21st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Microsoft seems intent on purging all mention of WinFLP--I've got it on a couple older P3 systems and wanted to get the last SP3 update. Microsoft doesn't have it--they seem to have eradicated all history of it.

Can I use the WEPOS SP3? I know that the XP Pro SP3 doesn't work. If not, who's got a copy of WinFLP SP3?

k2x4b524[
August 21st, 2014, 04:21 PM
I might, let me pull out my old drives and see if I have it floatin around

Chuck(G)
August 21st, 2014, 10:39 PM
A bit of browsing turns up this: WinFLP SP3 is exactly the same as WEPOS SP3. The M$ information refer to the same file, but if you click to download the WinFLP version, you get what amounts to a 404. However the WEPOS download still works fine and installs.

If you include the POSReady registry hack, you get all the updates (turns out that POSReady and WEPOS are pretty much the same thing and so share updates). None of the "We don't support XP anymore" stuff.

k2x4b524[
August 22nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
I am familiar with the XPPpS updates and hack. I wonder if Win XPFLP and PoS are the same thing, just named differently, i'm actually glad you replied before i did, because i couldn't turn up squat about FLP. Speaking of, can you pm me a link to the WEPOS download site for that SP3? It is something that is going to be added to my collection for customers computers.

Chuck(G)
August 23rd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Here you go (http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/e/3aea3d4e-159d-4078-a5b4-5b1e4f5a4db4/WindowsXP-KB958255-ENU.exe). I suspect that WEPOS + SP3 is also pretty much the same as POSReady 2009.

We need a program here to tell the difference between the variants. Have the boys in Redmond tried to roll out a Windows 8.1 POS version? Considering that M$ pulled the latest update for 8.1, I tend to believe that 8.1 is probably a dead issue already.

Woohoo! Windows 9 here we come!

tingo
August 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
And in case you wonder what this "WinFLP" thing is, Wikipedia has a page: WinFLP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs).

Chuck(G)
August 23rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
Yes, since I run XP only when needed either on old hardware or as a VirtualBox client, there's no need to carry around any excess baggage.

In addition to giving better performance on older machines, the reduced number of files increases boot speed, and the reduced number of services also improves security and responsiveness.

It's still not that thin--after I applied SP3, I noticed that the SYSTEM32 directory contained nearly 1300 files. Yikes--that's what you need for a bare-bones "thin" system? :wow:

k2x4b524[
August 23rd, 2014, 08:55 PM
They called it embedded for 7, 8, and 8.1, but i also have 8.1 industry pro, which is an industry based version of embedded i guess. I've tinkered with embedded and standard and they both appear to be the same

Chuck(G)
August 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM
Just wondered--most POS processing requirements are pretty modest--you really have to wonder why there'd be a POS offering for Win8.

Maverick1978
September 2nd, 2014, 09:37 AM
So this is total news to me. We can apply a registry hack to XP Home or Pro to make M$Update think that it's a POS/Embedded system, and continue to receive security updates? Is that all there is to it? Do we lose any functionality of the OS by doing this? - Google to the rescue...so far as the early reported articles can tell, no.

I didn't take the time to do detailed searches in for forums posting problems etc - has anyone here applied these hacks and seen/heard of any problems?

Chromedome45
September 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
Until I told you about it!!!

Maverick1978
September 2nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
SHHHH!!! Don't tell all my secrets!

Chuck(G)
September 2nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
I've got the POSReady hack applied to about 6 or 7 systems here. No problems thus far--M$ update seems to think that they're really POSReady installations. The updates continue.

I'm not certain, but I think you apply the POSReady hack and then MSE updates, that you won't get that nasty "Idiot! Don't you know that we don't support XP anymore?" notice.

Maverick1978
September 2nd, 2014, 05:22 PM
Nice. I pulled my WinXP machines from the net awhile ago. But I'd like to be able to use them again - I have around a dozen or so legit XP licenses. I've only 3 Win7/Win8 licenses.

Chuck(G)
September 2nd, 2014, 07:07 PM
If you get POSReady or WinFLT with the appropriate key, there's no registration needed after installation--so a single key will get you any number of legit (unhacked) installations. Most of my copies of XP are installed in VirtualBox sessions.

deathshadow
September 2nd, 2014, 08:37 PM
Laughably as much into "vintage" as I am, I don't have anything recent enough to run XP that can't run XP x64... and given the choice between FLP/POS and WinXP x64 Corporate... I choose the latter.

Especially since XP x64 is still receiving new updates despite claims to the contrary, you'd think it was just server 2k3 with a slap of paint on it or something.

The lack of WGA in XP x64 is just icing on the cake; possibly the best version of Windows ever released. (Note I'm saying x86, not ia64 which is Itanium only)

Chuck(G)
September 2nd, 2014, 09:19 PM
Especially since XP x64 is still receiving new updates despite claims to the contrary, you'd think it was just server 2k3 with a slap of paint on it or something.

For me, I still have a bunch of code that requires either DOS, Win16 or a combination with Win32. And I have a pile of 32-bit vintage stuff--unless you know of a 64-bit hardware platform with ISA slots. :)

But my everyday platform is Ubuntu AMD64--which also runs WINE, DOSEMU and VirtualBox. Much of what I've been doing in the way of code that digests (disk/tape) images of various sorts is x64 Linux. Runs like the wind.

rmay635703
September 23rd, 2014, 05:42 PM
For me, I still have a bunch of code that requires either DOS, Win16 or a combination with Win32. And I have a pile of 32-bit vintage stuff--unless you know of a 64-bit hardware platform with ISA slots. :)
Runs like the wind.

That is my problem, I have lots of proprietary software that needs 16 bit, so no go under windows 7, bleh.