PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Kaypro II Upgrades

NF6X
August 24th, 2014, 11:32 PM
I just got this Kaypro II computer. It needs some work before I apply power for the first time, and I hope that the Kaypro experts out there can help me identify a couple of the modifications that it has. This appears to be an early Kaypro II, based on the single serial port and the lack of an expansion connector. Many more pictures live here (http://www.nf6x.net/2014/08/kaypro-ii-therapy/) on the blog post that I just made.

Here's a front view of the machine:

The contrast control was relocated from the back panel to the front, and this hack job involved extending the video luminance signal with a couple feet of speaker cord, spliced to the original harness with wire nuts. WIRE NUTS. I literally can't even. :headslap:

I've already exorcised this demonic hack-job just so I can sleep at night. Ahhh, much better.

Here's an upgrade ROM labeled "Kaypro 8 PRO MONITOR 1984 Micro Cornucopia". Do any of y'all know what it does?

There's an upgrade board made by Advent Products Inc. plugged in to the CPU socket, with a Z80B on it and a toggle switch on the front panel. What does this board do?

There was also a splice into the power harness and an RCA jack added to the rear panel, but there's no telling what used to be connected to them.

jaquinn
August 25th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Here's an upgrade ROM labeled "Kaypro 8 PRO MONITOR 1984 Micro Cornucopia". Do any of y'all know what it does?

This was one of the alternative Kaypro ROMS available from the publishers of Micro Cornucopia magazine. Copies of the magazine are on Archive.org and worth a read. Lots of technical information. I haven't tried this ROM.... only Kayplus and Advent TurboROM.

There's an upgrade board made by Advent Products Inc. plugged in to the CPU socket, with a Z80B on it and a toggle switch on the front panel. What does this board do?

Advent made a "Turboboard" that used a faster Z80 and doubled the standard clock speed. If you have a look at page 44 of Profiles Magazine (https://archive.org/stream/PROFILES_Volume_2_Number_5_1984-12_Kaypro_Corp_US#page/n45/mode/2up) on Archive.org there is an advertisement for an 8mhz Turboboard and a review of page 50. I assume this is for a 4mhz Kaypro. With your Kaypro II where the CPU is clocked at 2.5mhz the Turboboard probably gives you 5mhz. If you have a scope or frequency counter check Z80 pin 6 and see if the clock rate changes when you toggle the switch.

ldkraemer
August 25th, 2014, 02:14 AM
The PRO8 ROM allows you to have 96TPI Floppy Drives, and also single sided or double sided in any mix. With the Decoder board that plugs into the pins
on the Motherboard (where the Floppy Cable typically went) it allows supporting up to 4 Floppy's. The PRO8 & TurboROM requires a "decoder"
board, which is no longer available -- construction of a home-built version was covered in a back issue of TCJ).

The URL for TCJ's Kaypro stuff is: http://www.kiblerelectronics.com/tcj/archive/

Issue 60 has a II to 4 Modification. Good luck finding the others.

You should have a config program for the floppy's for the PRO8 ROM, if I remember correctly. I've got an image of the original (and updated) PRO8 Floppy,
just don't remember if it's on KryoFlux or my SuperCard Pro.

I've got my Original A: Floppy and two Teac DS/DD Floppy's in my Kaypro II. I've also got the switch (on back of mine) for 2.5MHZ or 5 MHZ. It is an
easy modification.

I've also got lots of the Microcornucopia Magazines, should you need scans of articles, or PDF's or complete magazines.

Thanks.

Larry

NF6X
August 25th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Thanks!

My Kaypro has Magnetic Peripherals Inc. double-sided drives. The Kaypro II disk images that I downloaded are single-sided; does my system have upgraded disk drives, or is that just how they were shipped?

If you can find that PRO8 floppy image, I would appreciate having a copy. I have a KryoFlux, and I should also be able to use SCP images thanks to Keir's Disk-Utilities.

I'll start reading up at the sources linked above.

GADFRAN
October 22nd, 2014, 11:42 AM
As I have noted in past to new Kaypro users on this site, just do a search of the site - we have an “ extensive knowledge base “ over many years giving a lot of specific info on a lot of common issues with them. But you already have a lot of good info in responses to your post.

Yes I used the “ Kaypro 8 Pro 1984 from Micro Cornucopia [MC] “ to upgrade all six [6] of my original Kaypro II's and it is fantastic ! Teac drives were excellent. They all still work even ! MC knew stuff on Kaypros that even Kaypro did not know !

The Kaypros were excellent computers for their times and very rugged – all metal – you could even stand on them – so probably a reason they are still around so much. As posted Andy Kay just died.

My new website – WWW.KAYPROSTSNSF.ORG [had to add “ NSF” since the old site without it was not active since the organization that handled it went out of business, but my new local “ guru “ David is just super ! ] has under the “ special “ folder a free download of a draft of my book on that era with a lot of info including technical on Kaypros. A calender has many pictures.

I moved on to other things, so I do not get to this site very often.

Cheers and enjoy !

Frank