PDA

View Full Version : Dont buy on eBay using Global Shipping

inakito
August 25th, 2014, 01:54 AM
For eBay buyers buying from USA:

If for any reason the parcel arrives from the seller to Pitnery Bowes but does not arrive to you, you will lose any chance to get a refund for the item you purchased. You will only get a refund for the shipping plus custom fees, from Pitney Bowes to you!
On the other hand, you wont get any refund for Paypal for shipping and custom fees if the seller sent a wrong itm to you!

This service may be comfortable for the seller, but is awful for the buyer!

Tor
August 25th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of the catch about the refund, it sounds like Ebay considers everything fulfilled when the item reaches the re-shipper.
Not that I have wanted to buy anything involving Global Shipping in the first place, the cost seems to be way higher than when shipped directly. The whole scheme will most probably reduce global sales from USA. More power to the Chinese..

Sigh.

Frank S
August 25th, 2014, 03:47 AM
I have used the Global Shipping very often in the last time.
The costs are a little bit higher compared to the conventional way over the german customs.
Pitney-Bowes brings the parcel over the United Kingdom to the European Union.
I get the parcel (weeks) faster than over the german customs.
And the parcel is delivered to my door and i have not to drive to the next german custom station.
In Germany Hermes takes the parcel over from Pitney-Bowes.
I get an trackingnumber from Hermes when this happens.
For this part of the travel is Hermes accountable.

Frank

PeterNC
August 25th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Indeed.

vwestlife
August 25th, 2014, 05:53 AM
It is still always the seller's fault if a package gets lost or damaged in transit, even if they use the GSP. As far as eBay is concerned, the seller is even at fault if the item is stolen from the buyer's doorstep!

eBay's Resolution Center will always award the buyer a full refund and the seller will get a "defect" on their record (and if you get too many defects, eBay will kick you off the site). The use of the GSP just shifts who the seller can attempt to recoup their monetary loss from -- either to Pitney Bowes or to the international carrier that PB uses to ship the item to its foreign destination.

mnbvcxz
August 25th, 2014, 03:54 PM
According to the updated users agreement from ebay, UK sellers will have to use the Global Shipping thing from september, having read about the American experience I will not sell anything on ebay, I rarely sell anything but was planning to sell most of my possessions, but now I can only hope that everyone gets fed up with ebays abuse of their position, and starts using other sites, but which one(s)?

vwestlife
August 25th, 2014, 05:25 PM
According to the updated users agreement from ebay, UK sellers will have to use the Global Shipping thing from september, having read about the American experience I will not sell anything on ebay, I rarely sell anything but was planning to sell most of my possessions, but now I can only hope that everyone gets fed up with ebays abuse of their position, and starts using other sites, but which one(s)?

eBay says they will begin offering an equivalent of the U.S. GSP to UK sellers beginning in September. As of yet they don't say that it will be mandatory, only that they will "introduce support for" it:

http://go.developer.ebay.com/node/332981

Malc
August 25th, 2014, 09:54 PM
You don't have to use the GSP from september in the UK, From the email that i got
You can choose to opt out of the programme at either a listing, country or account level

According to the updated users agreement from ebay, UK sellers will have to use the Global Shipping thing from september.....

mnbvcxz
August 26th, 2014, 12:47 PM
You don't have to use the GSP from september in the UK, From the email that i got

OK, I got that wrong, but it would still be a Good Thing for ebay to lose some sellers, and buyers.

inakito
August 27th, 2014, 08:38 AM
An update on this stuff. Paypal splits the transaction in two parts, one transaction is the purchase itself, and the other one is paying the shipping from Pitney Bowes to your door. Both transactions appear as separated on your Paypal account. When i lost my last purchase i opened a dispute for both transactions. Paypal claimed i should give up on the first transaction and keep only the second transaction open for dispute. However i kept open both disputes, despite the sellers asking me to close the first one. The final result has been Paypal has refunded all the money, the one for the first transaction plus the second one!. What i do not know is whether the seller has lost the sale money or not.

glitch
August 27th, 2014, 11:18 AM
As a seller, this is why I transfer funds out of my PayPal account as quickly as possible.

mnbvcxz
August 27th, 2014, 01:34 PM
As a seller, this is why I transfer funds out of my PayPal account as quickly as possible.

Can't they just take any money they want from your bank account?, that's what they do when I buy anything.

glitch
August 27th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Can't they just take any money they want from your bank account?, that's what they do when I buy anything.

In my experience, it sits around as a negative balance. To use the account for payments, you have to pay off the negative balance, and of course any payments that come in will go to the balance first.

njroadfan
August 29th, 2014, 05:57 AM
I've run into an interesting glitch this morning. Seller in Canada, I'm in the US. Seller did specify worldwide international shipping with no excluded countries but the shipping amount isn't calculating for my address. :confused1: I sent a message to request a total. I wonder if this is related to the GSP. Silly ebay.

vwestlife
August 29th, 2014, 07:09 AM
I've run into an interesting glitch this morning. Seller in Canada, I'm in the US. Seller did specify worldwide international shipping with no excluded countries but the shipping amount isn't calculating for my address. :confused1: I sent a message to request a total. I wonder if this is related to the GSP. Silly ebay.

Currently the GSP is only offered to U.S. sellers.

The shipping calculator has caused some grief because it is sometimes inaccurate -- so buyers get upset when the shipping calculator gave them a lower cost when they placed their bid, and then when it came time to pay for the item, the seller puts the actual, higher shipping cost on the invoice.

tingo
August 31st, 2014, 01:53 PM
Recently, I bought a 8 inch floppy drive from a seller in the US, which specified GSP. This is (so far) my only experience with eBay's GSP. The seller handled like a pro; the package got shipped the day after I bought the item. I got a shipping notice from eBay (with a tracking number). 9 (nine) days later, I got a pickup notice from local (as in "doing business in this country") transport company, and picked up the package at a grocery store nearby. Since import charges was included in the GSP charge, there was no extra money to be paid when I picked up the package.

Nine days is well within my usual "eBay delivery speed" for packages sent from the USA to Norway.