PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Portable II setup diskette

bettablue
August 28th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Finally, I'm about ready to install the hard disc into my Compaq Portable II. The problem... I need a 3.5" configuration floppy to finish the Compaq's initial set up, or a setup diskette. In either case, it will need to be a standard 3.5" 1.44 MB diskette.

Are the files needed available somewhere on the Net? Or does someone here have the files I need?

As always, thanks in advance.

~BB~

Stone
August 28th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I have the Compaq SETUP/DIAGNOSTICS Version 8.00 set. It will generate both 360K 5" and 720K 3" disks. I don't think there is a 1.44 MB version. You already have the 360K version. I sent to to you last year. :-)

bettablue
August 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I have the Compaq SETUP/DIAGNOSTICS Version 8.00 set. It will generate both 360K 5" and 720K 3" disks. I don't think there is a 1.44 MB version. You already have the 360K version. I sent to to you last year. :-)

Thanks again stone. Yes, I do remember, and have it in my archives. However, I am unsure about the process for getting the computer back into working order. Everything else seems to be in order. In fact, I have another earlier version, but I don't know if is compatible with the Portable II. You say that the files you sent me aren't for 3.5" 1.44 MB floppies? Well, that's all the computer has. There is no option to add a 5.25" 360 KB diskette. But, can I still use the files on a 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy disc, or will that cause a problem?

Stone
August 28th, 2014, 06:30 PM
No, you use the 720K 3" version, obviously. :-)

bettablue
August 28th, 2014, 06:37 PM
OK, And again, Thanks.

I have two sets of files. One is SP_0308, and the other SP_0316. After extracting all of the .zip files into their own directories, I sorted them in hopes of making things easier during the actual setup. I assume I have to run SP_0316. Am I correct? Or do I have the correct files?

tkc8800
August 28th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I've recently been searching for Compaq DOS for my Compaq portable 1, I've come across several versions, but I think version 3.31 would suit the Portable II. There are 5 x 720k disk images which can be written to disks using WinImage. I've tested them on the portable 1 and they work fine. You can download from here:

http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/DOS/Microsoft/

Stone
August 29th, 2014, 03:05 AM
SP_0308.EXE will generate the 720K disk.

RWallmow
August 29th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Toss gsetup on any 1.44 DOS boot disk and you can configure your portable II as well, it works to configure most AT compatibles, I used it on my portable III.
http://acrpc.net/utils/gsetup.zip

bettablue
August 31st, 2014, 08:14 PM
I'm having some trouble making 720 Kb single sided discs. In order to "convert" the 1.44 MB diskette to a 720 Kb disc, I put a piece of metallic tape over the hole that signifies, or identifies the disc as either 1.44 MB uncovered, or 720 KB covered. I've tried on both my newer Windows 7 computer AND on my 5150 with its MicroSolutions backpack 3.5" floppy disc drive. Whenever I try on my Windows computer, I get an error stating that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and is forced to close. Then I tried on the MicroSolutions drive, and I get a bad command, Abort, Retry, Fail. No matter which selection I make, the error persists.

As stated in this thread title, I need single sided diskettes in order to install DOS onto my Compaq Portable. Another option is if I can possibly use a 5.25" 360 KB , or 3.5" 1.44MB floppy temporarily somehow... Can someone give me an option or some other steps to try making the discs I need? Can I use a 5.25" 360 Kb floppy disc drives from one of my 5150 computers?, or can I connect the Compaq's floppy to my Windows 7 computer and copy what I need directly to the drive? Can I run the setup utility directly from the floppy disc drive itself?

Are there any other options I'm missing?

tkc8800
August 31st, 2014, 08:50 PM
The trick of covering the hole on a high density floppy to use it as a double density floppy should work. I've seen Windows Explorer crash before when the disk is bad, have you tried alternative disks?

Not sure what DOS install disks you're using, but in the link I posted above, I used the Compaq DOS 3.31 archive and created five 720k physical disks using WinImage on a Windows 7 pc. I then used those on my Comparq Portable I and they worked.

bettablue
August 31st, 2014, 09:07 PM
The trick of covering the hole on a high density floppy to use it as a double density floppy should work. I've seen Windows Explorer crash before when the disk is bad, have you tried alternative disks?

Not sure what DOS install disks you're using, but in the link I posted above, I used the Compaq DOS 3.31 archive and created five 720k physical disks using WinImage on a Windows 7 pc. I then used those on my Comparq Portable I and they worked.

I don't have the portable ready yet. I was getting things ready to run the setup on a 3.5" floppy disc. Now if the drive in the Portable II is double sided, there shouldn't be any problem, but I was informed that the drive is single sided... That raises some problems. Yes, I have tried numerous discs and they have all failed. They work fine as double sided 1.44 MB diskettes though. That's what I don't understand. Its only when I cover the hole to tell the computer, or drive that the diskette is single sided when the troubles begin. Is it possible that because the discs are already formatted to be used as 1.44 MB that is causing the problem? I have tried to reformat them as 720 KB diskettes too, and get the same errors.

Is there some other utility that I can, or need to run to convert a double sided 1.44 MB diskette to a single sided 720 Kb disc?

tkc8800
August 31st, 2014, 09:33 PM
I don't have the portable ready yet. I was getting things ready to run the setup on a 3.5" floppy disc. Now if the drive in the Portable II is double sided, there shouldn't be any problem, but I was informed that the drive is single sided... That raises some problems. Yes, I have tried numerous discs and they have all failed. They work fine as double sided 1.44 MB diskettes though. That's what I don't understand. Its only when I cover the hole to tell the computer, or drive that the diskette is single sided when the troubles begin. Is it possible that because the discs are already formatted to be used as 1.44 MB that is causing the problem? I have tried to reformat them as 720 KB diskettes too, and get the same errors.

Is there some other utility that I can, or need to run to convert a double sided 1.44 MB diskette to a single sided 720 Kb disc?

The previous 1.44mb format shouldn't cause any problems, you should be able to simply re-format them as 720k as long as the hole is covered. If you try and access the disk without formatting it as 720k first that may be causing Explorer to crash. What are you using to format the disks in Windows 7? Windows 7 will not allow you to format them as 720k unless you use the command line format utility with specific parameters. An easier alternative is to format the disks as 720k in Windows 7 using WinImage. Winimage allows you to select what format you want the disk to be.

As far as I know, the 720k format is double sided, if you say your machine has a single sided 3.5" disk drive then I don't think it can use the 720k format. Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong.

bettablue
September 1st, 2014, 11:42 AM
The previous 1.44mb format shouldn't cause any problems, you should be able to simply re-format them as 720k as long as the hole is covered. If you try and access the disk without formatting it as 720k first that may be causing Explorer to crash. What are you using to format the disks in Windows 7? Windows 7 will not allow you to format them as 720k unless you use the command line format utility with specific parameters. An easier alternative is to format the disks as 720k in Windows 7 using WinImage. Winimage allows you to select what format you want the disk to be.

As far as I know, the 720k format is double sided, if you say your machine has a single sided 3.5" disk drive then I don't think it can use the 720k format. Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll try that to see if it works. Now, another thing... Is there a preferred program that will run on my 5150 to format the diskettes? Maybe I can set up my floppies that way.

Stone
September 1st, 2014, 12:38 PM
... Is there a preferred program that will run on my 5150 to format the diskettes? Maybe I can set up my floppies that way.IIRC, every version of DOS has an excellent format utility. :-)

TeacherMike
April 18th, 2015, 04:47 AM
I am new to the forum, however not new to the compaq's of the early 80's. I am a teacher of technology and have acquired the compaq portable series. It is great for peaking interest in the young modern techies of our world. I too am in search of setup disc's for my compaq portable, portable 2 and portable 3. I have the diagnostic disc but I do remember from my early days the ability to switch the BIOS on to activate the HD. I have 5 1/4 inch drives and DOS version 2 and 3.3. I am also waiting for my Windows 3.1 OS to arrive. Any help with these disc's would be so much appreciated. I am in the process of refurbishing the first gen portable (Keyboard as everyone knows has degenerative tendencies.) :-)

RuneRider
September 17th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I've recently dug out my old Portable 2 and Portable 3 but have managed to lose the full sets of software I had for both at some time in the last decade or so. If anyone has managed to get the actual disks setup and running I'd very much like copies. I've no idea how to get them from images to 5.25" floppies but would be willing to Paypal a fee to have them mailed.

Stone
September 17th, 2015, 09:44 AM
You didn't say where you are located. I have these Compaq disks:

DESCRIPTION: Compaq Diagnostics 8.00 Revision B for Discontinued
Products with at least 256k memory.
DISK #1
This 360K DIAGNOSTICS diskette contains SETUP Version 8.00 DP256
and INSPECT Version 8.00 DP256.
SETUP initializes the system configuration memory.
INSPECT provides information about the current operating system
environment, including the contents of the operating system startup
files, the current memory configuration, and the ROM versions
installed in the system.
DISK #2
This DIAGNOSTICS diskette contains TEST Version 8.00 DP256.
TEST identifies and tests the components of your system. This
version is intended for testing ISA machines with only 256 kbytes
of memory or a 360 kbyte diskette drive A:.
360K 5 Inch Version 8.00 DP256 supports:
Any of the following ISA machines with a 360K-kbyte 5 1/4 Inch
drive A: and at least 256 kbytes memory.
COMPAQ Portable, COMPAQ DESKPRO, COMPAQ DESKPRO 286,
COMPAQ PORTABLE 286, COMPAQ PORTABLE II, COMPAQ PORTABLE III,
COMPAQ PORTABLE 386, COMPAQ DESKPRO 386, COMPAQ DESKPRO 386/20,
COMPAQ DESKPRO 386/25

CompaqDoc
November 11th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I just got the original Compaq Portable and it came with a Start Up (Master) Floppy, but it's not working. Any advice?

RWallmow
November 11th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I just got the original Compaq Portable and it came with a Start Up (Master) Floppy, but it's not working. Any advice?

Try recreating the disk from one of the sources in this thread, disks don't always age gracefully, it is very possible the disk has seen better days.

If you don't have another PC that can write 5.25" disks, you can write the setup to a 720k 3.5" disk (from even the most modern computers if you have a USB 3.5" drive), and install a 3.5" drive in the portable and boot/run setup from that.

Moondog
November 18th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Other than the Compaq setup disks, I had hardware diag program called Q-Tech Pro that would allow me to view and change the contents on my Portable II.