PDA

View Full Version : ST-412 Hard Drive Issues

Gramcon
August 30th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Hello everyone,
I recently acquired a nice condition 5160 off of Craigslist, and I'm determined to at least find out if its old hard drive is salvageable at all. This was an interesting machine....it badge and model number indicate it is just a stock 5160, but it had all three of the xt/370 expansion cards in it. Anyway, the 512k memory card was bad, giving the parity check 2 error, so I removed all three of them and it booted into BASIC. Now, onto the hard drive...

At first it wouldn't detect it at all, giving the 1701 error each time. So I took it out and shook it a bit to free up the platters, which worked, and it booted into DOS! Cool, but it didn't last. After a while the drive started making this whirring sound. When I rebooted, it gave the 1701 error again.

The interesting thing is, when the computer is completely cold, I can start it up and it detects the drive and all is well. But, after a few minutes, the drive starts whirring (sorry, I can't think of a better word) and it stops responding. I've also noticed that the hard drive controller card (standard Xebec) gives off a lot of heat, not sure if this is normal or not.

I've heard of the ST-412 drives sometimes not working until they warm up, but I'm having the opposite problem. Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just resign myself to booting from floppies? I figured if there was an answer to be found, it could be found here. Thanks for the help!

modem7
September 2nd, 2014, 11:56 PM
Welcome to these forums.

But, after a few minutes, the drive starts whirring (sorry, I can't think of a better word) and it stops responding.
If someone asked me to describe the sound of a functional ST-412, I'd probably say, "a whirring sound".
The important point is that you are hearing the sound of the drive change after a few minutes (from cold). That it not normal behaviour.

I've also noticed that the hard drive controller card (standard Xebec) gives off a lot of heat, not sure if this is normal or not.
That is hard to comment on because different people will have a different opinion on what is "a lot of heat".

I've heard of the ST-412 drives sometimes not working until they warm up, but I'm having the opposite problem.

So, a problem communicating with the drive after a few minutes, and that is coincident with the sound of the drive changing.

A guess: Spindle bearings heating up and thus expanding. The expanded bearing are then for some reason causing a spindle rotation problem. Deteriorated spindle lubricant?

Anyone have any suggestions
Have a read of the thread at [here (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?24710-ST412-bearing-trouble)].

Gramcon
September 8th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks modem7 for the suggestions, I've come to the conclusion that repair of this drive is beyond my ability; however, at least the floppy drive works, and I have plenty of diskettes! The build quality of these old computers continues to amaze me. I wonder how many of today's electronics will still be *mostly* working in 30 years!