PDA

View Full Version : 286 and size limit issue

oblivion
September 6th, 2014, 04:32 PM
recently acquired a really nice 286-20. everything worked well on it but I wanted to add a few things and start from scratch. The hard drive in it is a little older and is run by a Winbond IDE controller the drive I think is 116mb. I wanted something a little bigger. my initial attempt involved SCSI but unfortunately the 2 avalible 50 pin drives I have are dead. I get a "device connected but not ready" error. I tried a confirmed working drive from anouther PC and it worked fine so I know its the drives (i checked there jumper settings ect already) since prices on old scsi drives seem to be a little steep I decided to just bite the bullet and toss in a 1gb IDE drive I have that's in good working order. it fired right up, i reformatted and installed DOS but only 119mb are detected. I assumed I would at least get 504mb of space.

Stone
September 6th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Maybe that's all the 286's BIOS is able to recognize. Wanna try a DDO?

oblivion
September 6th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Maybe that's all the 286's BIOS is able to recognize. Wanna try a DDO?

depends on what DDO stands for and if its a cheaper alternative then tracking down a SCSI drive. :)

Stone
September 6th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Dynamic Drive Overlay -- it's software so it might be free.

Alternatively, a 1 GB drive requires a translating BIOS, which a 286 does not have.

You might do better with a drive that has < 504 MB natively. This might play nicely with your 286 and not require a DDO.

krebizfan
September 6th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Even a hard drive of less than 504MB might not work. Some of the early IDE controllers were only able to work with specific drive models. Try finding a 16-bit IDE (or multi-IO card) from I think about 1994 or later which should support ATA-2 (EIDE) standard and will be very easy to find a compatible drive.

oblivion
September 6th, 2014, 07:15 PM
checked its a Goldstar multi i/o card http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy-controllers/E-H/GOLDSTAR-ELECTRONICS-INTERNATIONAL-INC-Two-IDE-AT-32.html#.VAvNCmNW5UU

glitch
September 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM
You can also use the XT-IDE BIOS with your existing controller. Adding it to a free ROM socket on an Ethernet card is a popular method.