PDA

View Full Version : help identifying keyboard

Slippery_panda
September 14th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Someone gave me this abacus keyboard about 15 years ago. No idea what it belongs to or if anyone would have any interest in it.

Slippery_panda
September 23rd, 2014, 12:36 PM
Is this the type of thing someone would collect, or should I throw it away?
Thanks for your help!

SomeGuy
September 23rd, 2014, 01:00 PM
The keyboard looks to be in ok-ish condition. Someone with a matching machine very well might want a replacement or spare. The plug looks fairly proprietary, and it is obviously built to fit on some specific luggable computer, so replacements would be hard to find.

But in this case the real trick is finding out what it goes too. Off hand, "Abacus" doesn't ring a bell, and Google doesn't turn up much useful...

It is vintage enough, it still might have some good parts usable with some other system, or be cool for some frankenputer project.

You might mention where about you are located. It might get the interest of someone local that wouldn't have to pay shipping.

Chuck(G)
September 23rd, 2014, 01:21 PM
Oh heck--too easy (http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/X917.88). Just search on "abacus portable computer". I think I probably even have a boot disk for one.

Slippery_panda
September 26th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Thank you for the help. I'm in Minneapolis, and would be happy to give it away if there is any interest. I just don't have the heart to throw it away.

James