PDA

View Full Version : New Printer Drivers for WordPerfect 5.1

Ole Juul
September 17th, 2014, 11:33 PM
I just had an idle moment and since my dot matrix printer is on-line and working again, I thought I'd take the time to remeniss about how that was with WP 5.1. It's always handy to just send a file to the printer, even in plain DOS, but it seems to me that a working WordPerfect installation would still be a good backup system in this day and age - despite the fact that I generally use plain text.

Part of the reason i got inspired is that a few months ago I had come across a current (!) WP5.1 site and the tab was still open. It's called New Printer Drivers for WordPerfect 5.1 (http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/51printers.html). Not only do they have lots of information for using WP5.1 in this day and age, they also have a link to the Corel FTP directory for a huge number of drivers. I was surprised it is still available.

ftp.corel.com/pub/printdrivers/ (ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/printdrivers/wp5x/!index.htm)

That was handy for getting the driver for my Raven PR-2417 which performed admirably. While I was there, I grabbed the PostScript package which will surely cover any future needs if I want to connect to a modern printer. (That's assuming I can coax DOS to connect on a contemporary interface.)

I think there was a thread here recently about WordPerfect, but I don't know how to find it. In any case, I just wanted to make sure this information is easy to find for those who want it.

njroadfan
September 19th, 2014, 05:59 AM
When searching for old product datasheets and manuals, I found that a lot of them tended to be in WP5.1 format. I used the Postscript drivers from that site to dump them to a Postscript file and then fed them into Adobe Distiller to create PDFs. No need to coax DOS (or DOS boxes) into printing on a USB printer.

Ole Juul
September 19th, 2014, 11:19 PM
When searching for old product datasheets and manuals, I found that a lot of them tended to be in WP5.1 format. I used the Postscript drivers from that site to dump them to a Postscript file and then fed them into Adobe Distiller to create PDFs.
I would think that a printer that takes pdf files also could take ps directly. In any case I've learned my lesson regarding proprietary printer drivers and all I got now is post script - apart from dot matrix, that is. :)

No need to coax DOS (or DOS boxes) into printing on a USB printer.
I've never gotten USB to work on any of my DOS boxes but networking is simple and very functional. Particularly since mTCP came on-line. Anyway, I was thinking that I could possibly print to a URL like I normally do on my modern machines. Perhaps I'm dreaming! Anybody here want to write an lpd server for DOS?