PDA

View Full Version : need help with win95 startup programs

oblivion
September 18th, 2014, 07:19 PM
i tried goggling it but I couldn't find a direct answer. I'm working on a win95 rig and I was trying out different video cards. apparently the ati drivers never fully uninstalled so every time win boot up I get an error message about how some ati program is trying to link to some file that no longer exists. how do I access the startup programs to stop this thing from loading? I thought it was msconfig but that did nothing.

krebizfan
September 18th, 2014, 07:41 PM
If you use regedit, look for Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce, and RunOnce\Setup keys.

Also check for the Load and Run lines in WIN.INI in case something tried to use Win 3.1 methods

Caluser2000
September 18th, 2014, 09:30 PM
If the name of the missing files are listed in the error messages you can search the registry and delete the entries.Make a back up of the regestry first. Have you tried setting to vga in safe mode?

oblivion
September 18th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I got it. I just did a search and found the file (it was named in the error) and deleted it. thanks for the help guys.

Caluser2000
September 19th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Well done.

Doug G
September 19th, 2014, 07:14 PM
For future reference this may be helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136337