PDA

View Full Version : Got an IBM Model M keyboard? Need a nutdriver?

Chuck(G)
September 22nd, 2014, 05:02 PM
I ran across seller "semisurplus" on eBay and he's got a bunch of surplus nutdrivers. He's got the 7/32" Xcelite nutdrivers for $4.99 shipped (US) that will fit the screwheads on a Model M keyboard housing. These are made-in-USA Xcelite HS7 tools that should last as long as you do.

Not a plug, but an FYI for someone looking for a good nutdriver in this unusual size.

snuci
September 23rd, 2014, 04:05 AM
I have that exact same driver. I think it also fits the hex nuts on serial/parallel cable connectors as well as motherboard stand offs? Pretty good to have all around.

glitch
September 23rd, 2014, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the tip, purchased! Now I won't have to use the old Monkey Wards socket I ground down on the bench grinder!

Chuck(G)
September 23rd, 2014, 07:59 AM
You may want to snoop around in the seller's store. ISTR that he had some vintage RAM and other things in his hoard.

Maverick1978
September 24th, 2014, 05:47 AM
The same seller has 7/32 Proto nut drivers as well - again, lifetime style tools.

After checking my X-Celite 99 roll bag, I've a 7/32 nut driver in there, so I passed. Still wish I could find some more 99 stuff cheap (as in REALLY cheap) to expand my set (got it brand new at a yard sale for $20 and have used it almost daily ever since - love that thing)

glitch
September 25th, 2014, 11:43 AM
My driver arrived today, couple of dings and scratches on the handle, but no chunks missing and the socket looks pretty much new. Good buy!

deathshadow
September 27th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Seems like kind of a gyp given I can get the same thing at Home Depot for a buck forty-nine. Don't know about where you guys are, but 7/32ths nut drivers aren't exactly what I'd call a rare part. Hell, it's three bucks at SEARS.

Well, unless you're in one of those goofy "metric system" countries.

Chuck(G)
September 27th, 2014, 09:27 AM
We're talking cheap Chinese crap and precision US-made here. Quite honestly, I can't afford cheap tools.

That's not to say that HD doesn't offer good tools. You can get a Klein 7/32 driver for $7.97 there.

glitch
September 27th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Sure, but this is a quality Xcelite tool, and the price includes shipping. The Model M also requires a fairly thin-walled driver -- my previous solution was a ground-down 1/4" drive socket from an old Monkey Wards set.

glitch
September 27th, 2014, 09:28 AM
We're talking cheap Chinese crap and precision US-made here. Quite honestly, I can't afford cheap tools.

Eventually we all learn that the hard way!