PDA

View Full Version : newbie, missing operating system

fiero377ci
September 23rd, 2014, 05:09 PM
ok so i got a bunch of computers and have no idea what im doing. currently im working on an ibm 30 286. what i did: it had dos 5.0 on it, no windows. i read how to upgrade to 6.22, i thought. it said on fdisc to delete parameters or something, then create new. so i did and put in the disc for dos 6.2. it rebooted and now all it says it missing operating system with no options for anything and every key just rings. putting in discs does nothing. cant type anything, on start up the only option is and has been only f1. please help thanks. i have ibm operating system discs and they do nothing.

Mike Chambers
September 23rd, 2014, 06:33 PM
Does the light even come by the floppy disk like it's trying to read them? If so, does it give you an error after trying? You may have either a bad OS disk or a bad floppy drive.

krebizfan
September 23rd, 2014, 06:51 PM
Another possibility is that you have a Upgrade version of DOS 6.2 which won't boot. If that is the case, you will need a bootable DOS diskette, and use that to recreate a bootable hard drive partition. Then you can switch to the upgrade disks and run the upgrade which once finished will transform the hard disk partition into a DOS 6.2 partition.

fiero377ci
September 24th, 2014, 07:19 AM
ok i got pics of the steps, the light does come on by the drive. it was reading the disks previously. in the screen right after turning on the power the only option is f1, after hitting f1 it says missing operating system and all keys just beep when hit. the disk pictured is what is in it. 20605 20606206072060820608

Stone
September 24th, 2014, 07:44 AM
You need to run the setup disk for this machine before it will do anything else, e.g., boot from a DOS disk.