PDA

View Full Version : Halt and Catch Fire Season 2

tkc8800
September 25th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Let's face it there's not much in the way of retro computer tv, so when I heard about this show I made an effort to watch it. I thought it was pretty good, but from what I heard after the first season the general ratings weren't fantastic. So I was surprised to read that a second season will be made:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/amc-renews-halt-and-catch-fire-for-season-2-1201286757/

This news is about a month old but I suspect I'm not the only one who didn't hear about it. The last retro machine I bought to add to my collection was the Compaq Portable, and after reading a little about the history of the Compaq Portable it strikes a very close resemblance to the story of this show.

tezza
September 25th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Here in New Zealand we are only just now getting Season 1. Episode 2 has just screened. Yes, there was a mention of a portable in that episode.

Tez

Al Hartman
September 25th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I thought the show was awful, and got all the technology wrong. No engineer would reverse engineer a BIOS that way, and nobody would rely on any data they generated from a motherbord they caused to spark and smoke like that.

tkc8800
September 25th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Here in New Zealand we are only just now getting Season 1. Episode 2 has just screened. Yes, there was a mention of a portable in that episode.

Tez

I think you guys are still ahead of Australia, no official release date here.

SpidersWeb
September 25th, 2014, 10:36 PM
It's a show my partner enjoyed with me, that had vintage computers in it. I thought it was brilliant.
Sure it has technical inaccuracies, but it's a TV show you can enjoy with non-collectors that has vintage hardware in it and makes it more interesting to them.

At the end of season 1 my partner said to me "there had better be a season 2!" but she certainly wouldn't sit through a 1980's computer documentary with me.

tkc8800
September 25th, 2014, 10:36 PM
I thought the show was awful, and got all the technology wrong. No engineer would reverse engineer a BIOS that way, and nobody would rely on any data they generated from a motherbord they caused to spark and smoke like that.

These shows are more concerned with being entertaining than accurate. The technical detail goes over most people's head (guilty). I found some aspects of the story a little bizarre, but overall I liked how they captured the feel of the early 80's.

Corey986
September 26th, 2014, 03:07 AM

Tez

I gave up on the show after a few episodes. I found "HCF" typical of most shows and nothing that wasn't film school 101.
I'd trade getting it first over getting to see the Almighty Johnsons series 2 and 3 which you lot already have seen. In the states we just finished season 1, and that show was not film school 101, it kept you guessing and vested in the characters.

Cheers,
Corey