PDA

View Full Version : Ebay/paypal

Agent Orange
September 30th, 2014, 04:48 AM
There is an item on Fox News this morning about EBAY spinning off PayPal in 2015. Don't know if that is good or bad news for the consumers/users, or maybe nothing happens. :confused:

facattack
September 30th, 2014, 05:31 AM
THey are gonna drop paypal?

smp
September 30th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Here's a link to The Wall Street Journal article...

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ebay-to-spin-off-paypal-business-1412075767

smp

barythrin
September 30th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I thought they started off separate anyway but maybe I'm wrong. Either way I don't see much impact or news about it. I've seen "paypal" crop up in home depot around here on the register but with all the news announcements I've heard about credit cards getting stolen and POS malware I'm not about to give out my paypal login information at a store register.

Stone
September 30th, 2014, 07:34 AM
...with all the news announcements I've heard about credit cards getting stolen and POS malware I'm not about to give out my paypal login information at a store register.You don't have to. PayPal will send you a Debit card if you ask them. I use mine all the time.

barythrin
September 30th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I forgot about that. I think it was one of our Mike's who also said they might send you one if you don't ask as well. In my case probably to an old address (my own fault, not theirs)

konc
September 30th, 2014, 09:48 AM
But... isn't paypal a subsidiary of ebay? Are they going to deny and devalue their own child?

Stone
September 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM
No they're going to spin it off. That means it becomes its own company.

MikeS
September 30th, 2014, 10:30 AM
PayPal's advertising on TV up here, reassuring folks that it's safe and secure and not to worry...

Shadow Lord
September 30th, 2014, 11:01 AM
More info:

NYT (http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/ebay-to-spin-off-paypal-adopting-strategy-backed-by-icahn/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0)

This shouldn't affect consumers much. eBay sellers are a different story. As a seller your money is held hostage by PP for eBay. I am not sure how much of that eBay could do once PP is a separate entity. And if they can't hold on to the money they may get more draconian with sellers or even buyers. The only good news is Donahue is stepping down with the spinoff. eBay has been going into the crapper with him at the helm.

konc
October 1st, 2014, 12:11 AM
OK, it seems they are just becoming two individual companies, not stopping close cooperation or anything like that.
"Creating two standalone businesses best positions eBay and PayPal to capitalize on their respective growth opportunities in the rapidly changing global commerce and payments landscape, and is the best path for creating sustainable shareholder value."