PDA

View Full Version : Appcrash - Windows Explorer

Cager
October 2nd, 2014, 01:21 PM
This one is really off-topic.

I have several PC's running Windows 7, based on Asus m/boards, Intel i5 & i7 cpu's & using NVidia graphics cards. They have started to show an unusual problem - namely whenever I use the right button on a mouse in the left hand pane of a Windows Explorer window, Windows Explorer crashes.

My normal method of operating used to be to use the right button to drop down a context sensitive menu from which I could select the action I required - such as to create a new folder on one of the listed volumes. I now have to select the volume with the left button & then use the drop down menus at the top of the Explorer window to select the required action.

All of the PC's have minimal start-up software, have been checked for virus's & other malware, their HD's have been checked and all are in good health with no bad sectors & minimal fragmentation.

Apart from anti-virus (Malwarebytes) & malware (Spybot) signatures, the only things that have been updated are Windows 7 itself & the NVidia drivers. As both Malwarebytes and Spybot are configured only to run when I tell them to, I reckon the problem must have come from either a Windows or NVidia driver update, so I don't have much hope of resolving it.

I got on to Microsoft support & sent them the error information, but in a "live one-to-one" with support personnel they had difficulty in grasping the problem & suggested I take out a $99 support contract, which could then be converted into an annual contract. As if!

Stone
October 2nd, 2014, 01:28 PM
...I reckon the problem must have come from either a Windows or NVidia driver update, so I don't have much hope of resolving it.Why not? You can roll back the updates, one at a time and see which one it was. When you reinstall the updates just skip the unfriendly one. I did that with the Windows update that changed the cookie format a few years back because it hosed one of my favorite programs. Now, whenever that update comes knocking I just ignore it. :-) BTW, I *never* update blindly i.e., autoupdate. I *always* review updates before I allow them on my system(s).

GottaLottaStuff
October 2nd, 2014, 09:06 PM
My XP system with an Nvidia card was acting oddly like that for a few weeks. The last update from Microsoft updated the video card driver but not the display panel software that comes with it. And they are not compatible. You have to uninstall the drivers and control panel software and then install the new versions of both from the Nvidia website. A quick fix is to remove the video settings from the right click menu, that's what's crashing it.

barythrin
October 3rd, 2014, 06:44 AM
Does the problem still happen in safe mode? If not it could be something installed recently that had an explorer context plugin (adding itself to the windows explorer menu). Any common software installed on them recently?

Cager
October 5th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I also don't allow Microsoft to update Windows automatically - and separately download & install drivers - particularly NVidia drivers. As it happens, I remembered that my i7 CPU equipped PC has had all the same updates as the two i5 CPU equipped PC's that demonstrate this problem, but the i7 hasn't got the same problem. I then further recalled that I had allowed Microsoft to install updated Microsoft mouse drivers on the two i5 PC's (because they both have Microsoft mice). I haven't had time yet to roll back the mouse drivers, but reckon it will be worth a go.

Stone
October 5th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I then further recalled that I had allowed Microsoft to install updated Microsoft mouse drivers on the two i5 PC's (because they both have Microsoft mice). I haven't had time yet to roll back the mouse drivers, but reckon it will be worth a go.Sounds like it's time for the warfarin. :-)