PDA

View Full Version : A rather odd TV commercial

NeXT
October 5th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Please someone tell my they saw it too. IT was amazing.

About ten years ago there was a commercial aired in Canada where if memory serves some big company was having a meeting and discussing an issue where they didn't have a budget to give the new people in the office new computers so they had to make do with systems they had in storage. The rest of the commercial was people futzing with various CP/M and MS-DOS machines with CGA or green/yellow monochrome screens. Some people even had two screens on their desk so they could view text AND graphics and I think they mentioned stuff like Wordstar and Lotus 123. It was an amazing commercial and they finished it off with a worker looking at a computer in what looked like a giant padded briefcase (and I think an IBM 5100 was inside) and asking "What is this?" followed by the boss responding with "That's your new laptop."

Was I the only person who saw it?

Agent Orange
October 5th, 2014, 01:13 PM

I think so . . .:confused:

NeXT
October 9th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Damn. That's unfortunate.

snuci
October 9th, 2014, 07:30 AM
What were they selling? I don't remember that but I wasn't interested in vintage computers back then.

I did see a milk commercial a few weeks ago with a kid walking into a room with an Atari 400 sitting on a hutch behind him. No cables or peripherals or even a TV near by, just the unit by itself. You'd figure they'd show a PS4 or X-box.

krebizfan
October 9th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Sounds like a CDW commercial.

TNC
October 10th, 2014, 11:05 AM

No, I think this commercial aired in Germany too. I'll try to help you find it. :)