PDA

View Full Version : Quick questionaire for my college project - need your help!

ashbash
October 6th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone, I am currently doing a project based on virtual ethnography (basically the study of interaction in online communities). As part of this project, I have to do a questionnaire on a community I am actively part of, so I'm going to do it here. This will be collected as data for my project.

It's okay if you don't answer all the questions, or want to add to those questions. The information will still help me! :D

1 – What is your age, gender, location?
2 - How often do you visit or post on the forum?
3 - How many vintage computers do you own?
4 - How often do you use vintage computers?
5 - What is your favourite vintage computer brand?
6 - Multiple choice: Do you use them purely for: A) Games? B) Programming? C) Productivity? (You can mention other aspects if you like)
7 - Do you communicate with members outside this forum, ie. on social media, skype etc?
8 - What do you think is the best aspect of being in this community?
9 - Do you often go to vintage computer events in real life?

Compgeke
October 6th, 2014, 04:52 PM
1 – 17, Male, USA
2 - Once every couple days.
3 - Oh man, 15 or so. M
4 - About once a week
5 - IBM or Commodore
6 - A and C
7 - IRC and I've met a person or two off the internet.
8 - A fair bit of people here seem to be in the actually collecting mentality rather than the "Pick up cheap and flip for a stupid price" mentality.
9 - Rarely. I go to more keyboard meetups than any computing in general.

Ole Juul
October 6th, 2014, 05:57 PM
6 - Multiple choice: Do you use them purely for: A) Games? B) Programming? C) Productivity?
7 - Do you communicate with members outside this forum, ie. on social media, skype etc?

1. Old age pensioner.
2. A dozen times a day - site is always open.
3. Lots
4. Daily
5. Generic or self made.
6. Productivity. (and other) *
7. Some
8. Information exchange and social. **
9. No. There are none near where I live.

* I'm not sure what you imagine is going on here, but your choices are not well considered. In my case, I don't program and find games to be an irritation. I do use old kit for productivity, which many don't do. However, people interact with computers of any vintage for many reasons. Education is an important one, but I think you'll find that a lot also have personal reasons such as nostalgia, technical enjoyment, and perhaps even specific philosophies about technology. It seems to me that many also have a collector's or archival interest. There are also people who use vintage equipment simply for pragmatic reasons - it works. You may want to consult with your professor about (or read up on) the kinds of reasons that people do anything. It's all applicable here. :)

** I originally came here because this is an unparalleled resource. Everybody is different, but the group is also large enough that one will find like-minded members regardless of one's personal quirks. Regardless, I personally like the diversity.

Caluser2000
October 6th, 2014, 08:17 PM
1 –Turned 55 yesterday, Male, New zealand
2 -A few times a week. More if helping someone get around a problem.
3 -20 something last count. I'm interested in learning about various operating systems and the software that runs on them as much as the actual hardware.
4 -Weekly usually when the grand kids are visiting.
5 -Don't have one. x86 clones is my prefered type because of the variaty of OSs and hardware available, but I have a soft spot for Acorn Risc machines. There are some vintage x86 brands I wouldn't touch with a barge pole though.
6 A) Games C) Productivity. And like Ole Juul-D)Other. I just like mucking around with old kit and software.
7 - Have visited #vc using XChat on occasion. Might post a remark on someones blog maybe a few times a year.
8 - Interacting with members, helping out where I can, gaining some knowledge about the many different system types.
9 - No, tend to do my own thing, In general I'm not a crowd person.

Tor
October 6th, 2014, 10:23 PM
1 - male, just old enough that I noticed the 'Altair' front page of Popular Electronics, locations are Norway and Japan
2 - Several times a day - the forum is open as long as I'm on the computer. Which I'm at for most of the day as I'm a programmer. So whenever there's need for a break..
3 - Only a couple, not counting modern replicas
4 - Not that often, as I don't have the ones I would prefer to own yet
5 - Norsk Data minicomputers. Of the micros there are some Z80 and 6502 ones although I won't brand them.
6 - B) Programming. Games never interested me much, although I did play a bit during long night shifts in the past. But playing computer games always makes my head go sour. The hardware also interests me (you didn't list that option..)
7 - No. Except that some of the members here are also members on other tech forums
8 - The huge amount of combined knowledge
9 - No. Mostly because of distance and available time

ashbash
October 6th, 2014, 11:51 PM
1. Old age pensioner.
2. A dozen times a day - site is always open.
3. Lots
4. Daily
5. Generic or self made.
6. Productivity. (and other) *
7. Some
8. Information exchange and social. **
9. No. There are none near where I live.

* I'm not sure what you imagine is going on here, but your choices are not well considered. In my case, I don't program and find games to be an irritation. I do use old kit for productivity, which many don't do. However, people interact with computers of any vintage for many reasons. Education is an important one, but I think you'll find that a lot also have personal reasons such as nostalgia, technical enjoyment, and perhaps even specific philosophies about technology. It seems to me that many also have a collector's or archival interest. There are also people who use vintage equipment simply for pragmatic reasons - it works. You may want to consult with your professor about (or read up on) the kinds of reasons that people do anything. It's all applicable here. :)

** I originally came here because this is an unparalleled resource. Everybody is different, but the group is also large enough that one will find like-minded members regardless of one's personal quirks. Regardless, I personally like the diversity.

Apologies for the lack of scope on some questions - they're just to get a basic idea of demographics etc. Mentioning aspects such as collecting for collecting's sake and general use still apply.

PeterNC
October 7th, 2014, 05:21 AM
1 – What is your age, gender, location? 30s, M, USA
2 - How often do you visit or post on the forum? Daily
3 - How many vintage computers do you own? 6
4 - How often do you use vintage computers? Daily
5 - What is your favourite vintage computer brand? IBM, Philips, Roland, Creative
6 - Multiple choice: Do you use them purely for: A) Games? B) Programming? C) Productivity? (You can mention other aspects if you like) A
7 - Do you communicate with members outside this forum, ie. on social media, skype etc? Email
8 - What do you think is the best aspect of being in this community? Collectively reliving my youth
9 - Do you often go to vintage computer events in real life? never

krebizfan
October 7th, 2014, 06:53 AM
1 - 50, M USA
2 - Every few days
3 - 5 physical
4 - Weekly or more if some project requires it
5 - DEC
6 - B Some programming when I can find strange old languages cheap
7 - I have. Not often.
8 - It is more fun than television.
9 - Yes.

JDallas
October 7th, 2014, 07:44 AM
1a) AGE: Old
1b) GEN: Old male
1c) LOC: Old USA
2) VCF: Daily
3) COL: ~20
4) USE: Daily*
5) FAV: None**
6a) GAM: Yes*
6b) PRG: Yes*
6c) PRD: Yes*
7) COM: Yes
8) ADV: Better odds finding similar topic interests
9) EVE: No
*One of the computers I use is an older PC using W2K (always offline) at a tool. Personally I don't consider that Vintage Computing any more that I consider a screwdriver to be a "vintage screwdriver." Omit that and the answer changes to 4) None and 6x) No

**Regarding favorite brands, I say "none" because I find all of the Vintage Computers to have interesting flaws of one form or another and from a vintage computing anthropology/archaeology point of view, I finds those aspects more interesting. Considering, "If they hadn't made this design/marketing mistake, what might have happened..."

ashbash
October 7th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Surprised to get so many responses already. Thank you to the people who posted theirs, and everyone else: don't be shy! :D

Again these are just for basic statistics so don't worry too much about the details. I'll have them covered on other parts of my project, ie. the nostalgia factor etc.

tezza
October 7th, 2014, 05:48 PM
56, Male, New Zealand

Every day. Posting varies depending on what other things are happening in my life. Sometimes every day...at other times maybe once a month?

Fifty two plus duplicate spares of many of them

I'd fire a vintage computer up several times a week.

No favourites as such, as they are all very different. Nostalgically attracted to the TRS-80 Model I/III/4 line of computers (and clones) plus the CP/M and IBM PC and IBM PC/XT business machines.

6 - Multiple choice: Do you use them purely for: A) Games? B) Programming? C) Productivity? (You can mention other aspects if you like)
Just to admire and preserve really. I suppose you could call them working historical artifacts, which I lovingly maintain.

Not much. I have a similar New Zealand forum I communicate with some members on. I also communicate through comments on my YouTube videos and website.

The technical and historical knowledge of some members is vast and not always found elsewhere. It's fun to share what you do and hear about what others are doing. This is a very niche hobby and such a community of like minded people are not really present where I live.

No, but I would if I could. I'm too far away from them, although have traveled a bit for one or two local get-togethers we (member of our NZ forum) have organised ourselves.

Tez

DOS lives on!!
October 7th, 2014, 06:29 PM
1. A baker's dozen + 5, Southwest Virginia (USA), Male
2. Visit it daily, post when I have time to sit down and read thoroughly through the posts.
3. 34
4. Use them every day.
5. Not a true vintage name here, but Gateway 2000 (First brand I owned, earned a sweet spot in the heart)
6. Productivity, experimenting, maintaining working order and originality, and running the applications I used as a child. (Encarta '98 being the favorite)
7. Yes (Met one of them at the Computer History Museum; was a great experience)
8. Seeing the diverse range of people and the things they enjoy.
9. Vintage computer enthusiasts are rare, if not impossible to find in Southwest Virginia. :) (Would like to travel to VCF East someday.)