PDA

View Full Version : need help getting CD drive running in 286

oblivion
October 7th, 2014, 10:03 PM
now that the parity error is resolved i've hit anouther roadblock. I posted at VGONS as well but figured Id take the shotgun approch and see if anyone here may be of assistance. I've been trying to add a CD drive to my 286, a job that I thought would be simple but its turning out to be a hassle

specs
harris 20mhz 286 w/ 287 copro
DOS 5.0
4MB RAM
SB 2.0
ATI VGAwonder+

it seems no matter what I try when my system goes to load up the SCSI cd driver my system locks up. prior to this I had no CD drive and a IDE hard drive run off a IDE/multi i/0 card I replaced the hard drive with a SCSI drive and added a AHA-1540cp scsi card. It detects my new scsi hdd drive fine and if the SCSI drivers for the CD are disabled it loads up DOS just fine and also detects the attached CD drive. If however I enable the SCSI drivers they system locks up on boot. I tried a few different CD drives to no effect.

at one point I got frustrated and decided i'll just go with a IDE CD drive so I hooked an IDE drive up to the multi I/O card but my auto install program for my IDE drivers would lock up the system, so I added them manually and I just get a "file missing or corrupt GSSDROM.sys" error.

I've added plenty of SCSI and IDE drives to 386 and 486 and up systems and this is the first time I've had these issues. is it 286 related? any ideas? maybe i'm not seeing something?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/0blivi0n1/100_8130_zps8a9d153f.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/0blivi0n1/media/100_8130_zps8a9d153f.jpg.html)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/0blivi0n1/100_8128_zps9910b8c4.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/0blivi0n1/media/100_8128_zps9910b8c4.jpg.html)

modem7
October 7th, 2014, 10:30 PM
now that the parity error is resolved ...
I read your other post titled, 'on board parity errors'.
I would not say that it was resolved. What you did was in effect to stop the reporting of RAM parity errors. The problem in the RAM subsystem is very likely still there.
It is like seeing the engine warning light come on in your car, and then removing the warning light to resolve the issue.

I think that you next step should be to run some diagnostic software that checks RAM.

oblivion
October 7th, 2014, 10:46 PM
I read your other post titled, 'on board parity errors'.
I would not say that it was resolved. What you did was in effect to stop the reporting of RAM parity errors. The problem in the RAM subsystem is very likely still there.
It is like seeing the engine warning light come on in your car, and then removing the warning light to resolve the issue.

I think that you next step should be to run some diagnostic software that checks RAM.

I looked and there are 9 chips on the RAM. the thing is there very strange RAM. never seen this type before but then this is also my first 286. they don't have normal connectors. They kind of look like zip RAM. I doubt i'd be able to find replacements for a reasonable amount of money. coincidently my cars check engine light has been on for a while now and I haven't fixed it for the same reasons........

good news is I got around the CD issue by using an IDE drive and VIDE drivers. no other drivers I tried worked.

any suggestions on RAM checking software for a 286?

modem7
October 7th, 2014, 10:57 PM
An old DOS version of CheckIt should do the job.

orion24
October 7th, 2014, 11:48 PM
When CD-ROM drives were released, the hardware market was in the 486-Pentium era. It is likely that many CD-ROM drivers did not care about 286 compatibility and were built with taking advantage of features available in 386. I'd look for drivers that clearly mention 286 support.

ldkraemer
October 8th, 2014, 01:41 AM
oblivion,
I've used these drivers on an old 386 to be able to read the IDE CDROM drive on DOS 6.22.

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\TEAC\TEAC_CDI.SYS /D:TEAC-CDI
device=c:\dos\himem.sys
device=c:\dos\emm386.exe ram x=CB00-CBFF
device=ansi.sys
dos=high,umb
LASTDRIVE=Z
files=30
buffers=30

AUTOEXEC.BAT
call guest.bat
C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:TEAC-CDI /M:15
prompt $p$g
cls

GUEST.BAT
c:\iomega\guest.exe E:

You could always give these drivers a try.

Larry

Stone
October 8th, 2014, 03:01 AM
An old DOS version of CheckIt should do the job.Ditto... CheckIt 3.0 is perfect for this and even runs on an 8088.

PeterNC
October 8th, 2014, 03:38 AM
I installed a Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM with a controller card in my 286 and that works. Strangely enough I have a Mitsumi 1X CD-ROM that does not work. Do you have any proprietary CD-ROM units with controller card? I could try my SCSI card and CD-ROM as well this evening in my 286.

SpidersWeb
October 8th, 2014, 10:59 AM
As suggested, CheckIt.

As an example I had a card with a few bad chips in it - they'd pass the RAM test but when applications went to actually use those bits the machine would often crash as a result - CheckIt was able to detect these reliably.

Your memory sounds like a SIPP package - does it look like these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIPP-Memory-Module-30Pin-/181549572783?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item2a4532a2af

oblivion
October 8th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I did finally get an IDE CD drive running. I found out that VIDE drivers worked with my generic Goldstar Prime 2 IDE/multi I/O card. So i'm using the SCSI controller for my hard drive and just going with the IDE CD drive, not a big deal. I just assumed the SCSI drivers would work on anything. internal IDE Iomega ZIP drives doesn't seem to work either when running the GUEST.EXE file. Parallel port versions work fine though.

PeterLI, I also talked to somone else that said there 286 locked up when attempting to use the Adaptec SCSI drivers. id be curious if you have any luck.

PeterNC
October 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I have a non Adaptec SCSI. I will try it this weekend. I managed to get a proprietary Sony CD ROM to work so that was fun.

oblivion
October 11th, 2014, 06:00 PM
The cd drive I'm using now with those vide drivers is 52x so it sounds like a jet engine powering up. I need to swap it out.

Krille
October 12th, 2014, 12:55 AM
The cd drive I'm using now with those vide drivers is 52x so it sounds like a jet engine powering up. I need to swap it out.

Or use software to slow it down. I don't know the CPU requirements for ZCDSPEED but I've attached it anyway in case you want to try it.