PDA

View Full Version : multifunction card jumper settings

JimWilliams
October 11th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I have a card from my XT that is a multifunction serial/parallel/game short card. It is titled CARDIO01. It has a game port and a printer port on the main board plus two ribbon cables that go to an adjacent slot (not slot 8). Both ribbons are attached to serial ports (one is a 15 pin, on top of a 25 pin). My diagnostics show a the game port, the printer port and the 15 pin serial but not the 25 pin alt serial. On the card is an 8 position JP2 next to a 6 position JP1 (with a jumper on #1 and #6). Above the JP2 are the letters ACE1 ACE2 PP whereas underneath are the numbers 459 395 57. There is a jumper on the first 2 pins (which are for ACE1 - I think) and there is a jumper on/under the last PP pin (for the printer - I think). My question is how do I activate the ACE2? Do I use two pins like ACE1? Any help would be appreciated. I have searched online and looked thru several manuals, but I found nothing for CARDIO01 (made in CHINA). thx-Jim

modem7
October 12th, 2014, 11:36 PM
A photo of the card will help a lot.
For example, a photo may reveal that a UART chip for the second serial port has yet to be fitted.

PeterNC
October 14th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Try www.stason.org. Good luck! :)

JimWilliams
October 16th, 2014, 06:32 PM
A photo of the card will help a lot.
For example, a photo may reveal that a UART chip for the second serial port has yet to be fitted.

How and what kind of photo will work in this forum. When I have clicked on an entry that claims to have a photo, but I don't get any kind of picture. thx-Jim

JimWilliams
November 2nd, 2014, 05:30 PM
Here is a photo of my multifunction card, thx-jim

I need to have an async card for my IBM XT that allows PROCOMM to receive data. Any (or all) of my XT async cards allow me to send data, but none of them receive data. I believe that modem7 wanted a photo to look for a UART CHIP? I also keep getting messages to add my location to my profile. I did that sometime ago. I can see my location, is anyone else not able to see it? thx-Jim

modem7
November 3rd, 2014, 02:44 PM
Above the JP2 are the letters ACE1 ACE2 PP
ACE will be an acronym for Asyncronous Communications Element. You would think that because "COM1" and "COM2" are used at the top of the card, that the maker would have used the same naming convention at the bottom of the card.

I think that most people would agree that "PP" is probably an acronym for parallel port.

I believe that modem7 wanted a photo to look for a UART CHIP?
That was to see if the cause of your 'diagnostics not showing second serial port' was a yet-to-be-fitted UART chip (and/or level converter chips). The photo reveals that your card is not the type of card that has positions for optional components.

I need to have an async card for my IBM XT that allows PROCOMM to receive data. Any (or all) of my XT async cards allow me to send data, but none of them receive data.
Perhaps this should have been a seperate thread. It sounds highly unlikely to me that all of the serial ports on all of your serial port equipped cards have the common problem that they cannot receive data. Have you run serial port diagnostics, in particular the external loopback test (see [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/serial/loopback.htm)]). Obviously, the passing of the external loopback test would prove that your cards can receive data successfully.

modem7
November 3rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
Above the JP2 are the letters ACE1 ACE2 PP whereas underneath are the numbers 459 395 57.
Here is my guess on the numbers:

I think that the card is designed for an AT-class computer, and that the numbers are interrupt numbers.

"459": Put one jumper on, corresponding to the required interrupt number for COM1. 4 is the default for the first serial port.
"395": Put one jumper on, corresponding to the required interrupt number for COM2. 3 is the default for the second serial port.
"57": Put one jumper on, corresponding to the required interrupt number for the parallel port. 7 is the default for parallel ports.

One way to prove that would be through the use of a multimeter.

Wht did I use "AT-class computer" above?
* Interrupt 9 does not exist in an XT-class computer.
* Interrupt 5 is used by the hard disk controller in an XT-class computer, but typically free in an AT-class computer.

modem7
November 3rd, 2014, 04:10 PM
I think that the card is designed for an AT-class computer,
Rather than "designed", I should have used "intended". I did not mean to infer that the card is unsuitable for an XT-class machine.

JimWilliams
November 3rd, 2014, 06:46 PM
Rather than "designed", I should have used "intended". I did not mean to infer that the card is unsuitable for an XT-class machine.

My testing involved many uploads from the XT (running DOS 3.2) to a Laptop (running windows) and all uploads were successful -however- all download tests failed. I was running DOS 3.2 for the test of the XT. I was using procomm Kermit for the file transfer testing. I tried all combinations of the JP2 jumpers for ACE1.