PDA

View Full Version : Repair needed: GVP 68030 Impact I

dhoelzer
October 13th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I'm in need of someone to troubleshoot/diagnose/repair a GVP 68030 Impact I accelerator board. The only indication that there's something wrong is that installing it in my Amiga 2000 will cause it to randomly crash and restart. Without this card everything is peachy.

I have already tried running with the daughterboard removed; it makes no difference.

KC9UDX
October 13th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Clean the card edge and socket thouroughly. A less-than-optimal connection there can cause this. Reseat all the socketed chips.

Next, use compressed air or some other means to cool the card to less than room temperature, and keep it cool during use. See if that eliminates the crashes. If so, you can use a small heat source to try and narrow it down.

Does it crash if the system is sitting idle, or only when running certain programs?

dhoelzer
October 14th, 2014, 04:29 AM
Thanks for this. I'll see what I can work out and report back. It may take a while because I have a 14 day business trip to Vegas starting tomorrow. ;)

Clean the card edge and socket thouroughly. A less-than-optimal connection there can cause this. Reseat all the socketed chips.

Next, use compressed air or some other means to cool the card to less than room temperature, and keep it cool during use. See if that eliminates the crashes. If so, you can use a small heat source to try and narrow it down.

Does it crash if the system is sitting idle, or only when running certain programs?

joekster
October 14th, 2014, 06:37 AM
has the gvp always been flaky? there is a jumper on the series II to fix motherboard timing issues... could be bad caps. could try a slower xtal to see if it helps stability.

really, so many posibilities as to the problem...

dhoelzer
October 14th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Card is a relatively recent addition, though it did originally work for a few days.

I've checked all of the caps and they're in good shape. The crystal, interestingly, isn't actually soldered. It's standing off of the board with long legs inserted into the socket. Seems a bit suspicious. I'm starting to wonder if it's an issue with the crystal not making good, consistent contact since the legs are undersized for the holes.

has the gvp always been flaky? there is a jumper on the series II to fix motherboard timing issues... could be bad caps. could try a slower xtal to see if it helps stability.

really, so many posibilities as to the problem...