PDA

View Full Version : Tandy 1500HD

mpickering
September 25th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Hi all,

I just brought my bargain Tandy 1500HD back to life.

I bought the machine for $1. The seller advertised it as having hard drive issues. When turned on, it wouldn't read the drive. So I download FreeDOS 1.0 and began to play.

The initial boot disk froze the machine. I found a basic disk that did boot to an A: prompt. Good news, this meant the floppy drive was working fine. I got copies of the MS-DOS 3.3 FORMAT and FDISK utilities. FDISK kept giving "Error reading fixed disk" errors. I thought the drives was totally pooched.

I dug around and managed to find a copy of an enhanced FDISK (one that ships with FreeDOS that I didn't have on my disk). Ran it and voila! It saw the drive! So I partitioned it, reboot and formatted it as a system disk. Lo and behold, she booted up on the C: drive. All 20 glorious megabytes.

Not too shabby for a 22 year old machine.

Now, what to put on it? I'm thinking Telix (for serial console use for my Unix workstations) and maybe Windows 2.0 just for the heck of it.

I consider this machine a very good bargain.

Matt

Vlad
September 25th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal on it. Ever hear of a program called "Kill Disk"? Its suppose to be a pretty heavy format program. I've rescused many a hard drive with it. It takes quite a long time though. I've also used Seagate Diskwizard but I'm not sure if they would see an HD that old.

-VK

jdawg012
December 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Do you still have that copy of fdisk you used to fix the issue?

chuckcmagee
December 6th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately, the original poster hasn't logged in for 2 years now. I am fairly sure that the 1500HD has a Conner Cp2024 in it. All 3 of those drives that I have gotten with Tandy systems have been dead (drive read error). I did manage to find someone on ebay selling 2 untested drives. I didn't pay very much and 1 out of the 2 drives actually worked. Second one in the batch didn't even spin up anymore.

Read the second post on this thread. You might have luck with something that does low level formatting.

slot1
December 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM
The post spoke of fdisk in relation to freedos.
Might try searching freedos and see what turns up. As always, exercise caution about sites/files when downloading.