PDA

View Full Version : AWE64 music not enabled?

RaptorZX3
October 19th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Ok i configured everything for my old PCs here, they all have a Sound Blaster AWE64 card, everything's configured correctly, except for the sound card's music.

For some strange reason, the music from the sound card (rendered by the sound card i mean, like Duke Nukem 3D, Doom2, Descent, Star Wars Dark Force...) doesn't play, unless i go in the "Diagnose" software and run a full diagnose on it, it's only then that music will play just fine afterward.

i tried using commands for the Diagnose software, and it's no use, i HAVE to go thru the Diagnose software so the music will play in thoe games, otherwise no music is being played while in the game.

What could be wrong here? (keep in mind, ALL of my AWE64 sound cards do the same thing with my configuration, so it's not the sound card, it's probably something i didn't do right in my configuration, but i don't know WHAT exactly!)

If you need my 2 files, here's my Autoexec.bat:

SET CTCM=C:\SB
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS

REM ========== Sound Card driver =======
LH C:\SB\CTCM.EXE
LH C:\SB\MIXER\MIXERSET.EXE /Q /P
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET SOUND=C:\SB
REM ====================================

REM ========== CD-ROM driver ===========
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

REM ========== Mouse driver ============
LH C:\MOUSE\CTMOUSE.EXE

REM ========== UNIVESA driver ==========
LH C:\UNIVESA\UNIVBE.EXE

Here's my Config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\SB\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
BUFFERS=20,0
FILES=30
LASTDRIVE=Z
STACKS=0,0
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM ========== CD-ROM driver ===========
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

thanks for helping me.

PeterNC
October 19th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Did you check the sound volume of the MPU in MIXERSET?

deathshadow
October 19th, 2014, 04:14 AM
I thought CTCM had to be run AFTER the SET lines?

RaptorZX3
October 19th, 2014, 02:41 PM
i tried enabling MIDI in the Mixerset (both left and right), and putting the "SET" lines before the LOADHIGH/LH lines, and it did nothing, i still have to go thru the Diagnose to enable the music in those games...

What else could i try?

deathshadow
October 20th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I thought there was a driver that was supposed to be loaded in config.sys?

I'm gonna drag out my AWE 64 Gold later and see if I can get it working in my AMD5x86-150 I'm using as a testbed/middling machine. I was planing on trying a few different soundcards there anyways later today, so I'll add it to the stack to see if I can 1) get it working and 2) compare my working config to what you have there.

RaptorZX3
October 20th, 2014, 04:18 PM
ok. Because so far to enable sound card-rendered music (for example most of Sierra games, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D...) doesn't play, unless i go thru the Diagnose software, it's just then that music will work. But i believe i shouldn't have to go thru Diagnose to enable music normally...

deathshadow
October 21st, 2014, 12:24 AM
Wow, I'm having the same thing unless I either go into Win 98 first, or run diagnose. Flat boot to DOS and it doesn't play music until after diagnose... That's... screwy.

Tested my original AWE-32, and it doesn't have that problem... so it seems AWE-64 specific.

I'll play with it -- I could have sworn you were supposed to run something in config.sys but the setup didn't create any such thing. Crappy new drivers instead of the proper originals maybe? I have that problem with my LIVE where the download off creative's site doesn't work at all, but thankfully I have the original CD which works just fine.

I swear, Creative and Drivers, train wreck of ineptitude.

CONFIRMED, AWE 64 boot straight to DOS using their configuration, no on-board MIDI. Run diagnose or boot into Win 9x, works fine after.

RaptorZX3
October 21st, 2014, 12:54 AM
so you say with the drivers from the CD it work just fine?

Edit:

For the SB Live! drivers from Creative.com website, the thing is it unzip everything in a new folder in the Windows/temp folder. Does it unpack and then say "it's not compatible with your Windows version" or something? before clicking "ok", grab the folder it created (i forgot the name, but it can be found in that Temp folder anyway) then copy that folder somewhere else on your computer, and then click Ok.

I know it's screwy with those drivers, it's stupid but it have to be done that way, not with the usual drivers installation from Windows.

deathshadow
October 21st, 2014, 06:13 AM
Worse with my LIVE! it simply has it checked off as "device cannot start" using the drivers off their site. I had the same issues with my AWE32... and of course on Vista/Newer my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum I have to use Daniel_k's unofficial drivers.

Which is a laugh as my EMU Morpheus (4x EMU 8000 chips with 64 megs of RAM on one PCI card) is fully recognized in Windows 8.1 as four separate emu8k devices out-of-box? (NOT that it includes midi mapping to actually DO anything with them -- Thankfully I'm using Reaper these days.)

Of course it would be nice if the ASIO drivers for all of the above were worth a flying purple fish.

Krille
October 21st, 2014, 06:34 AM
What else could i try?
Try adding DIAGNOSE /S and/or AWEUTIL /S to AUTOEXEC.BAT.

EDIT: You'll probably want to have MIXERSET /P in there as well.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I just noticed it's there already.

RaptorZX3
October 22nd, 2014, 05:33 AM
even with Diagnose /S, it does nothing (i tried it outside of Autoexec.bat, and it doesn't help)

Krille
October 22nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
even with Diagnose /S, it does nothing (i tried it outside of Autoexec.bat, and it doesn't help)

Try with AWEUTIL /S then?

deathshadow
October 22nd, 2014, 01:52 PM
Remembering something about the AWE series -- the soundfonts are not stored in ROM; and it's my guess that for whatever reason they're not being loaded. I know (or at least vaguely remember) this problem with the AWE32 where if you didn't manually copy the .sf files to the correct directories, the setup wouldn't load them to the card, though the diagnose utility was able to find them IF you did music playback in it first.

I've changed my testbed config (got a 1.5 w/CMS in it right now), but I'll see if I can figure that out later.

RaptorZX3
October 22nd, 2014, 07:33 PM
ok, well i'll check with AWEUTIL.

It really suck for this problem to happen all the time.

i'm making a whole batch file that create folders, copy needed files and everything to make my DOS-based computer work just fine. I was dead sick of manually entering all commands so i made a floppy disk that contain all needed drivers and files with this "install.bat" batch file i made, so everything will work fine (with most games) with a lot of free memory.

Once i find a way to fix this AWE64 problem, i'll ZIP everything and share it here.

Edit: it seem like AWEUTIL.COM /S helped in initializing the music!
Edit2: well, i tried some more with the AWEUTIL software and it's giving me problems now...
Edit3: i think it was a problem with the ISA slot in my computer, as i moved the card to where it was before, it stopped giving me problems.

RaptorZX3
October 23rd, 2014, 12:06 AM
i had problems with the AWEUTIL /S command, though i later found that for some reasons, the DRAM on the card didn't worked well on one ISA slot on the computer, so i moved it back to where it was before, and the AWEUTIL /S command seem to work OK now.

Krille
October 23rd, 2014, 03:00 AM
i had problems with the AWEUTIL /S command, though i later found that for some reasons, the DRAM on the card didn't worked well on one ISA slot on the computer, so i moved it back to where it was before, and the AWEUTIL /S command seem to work OK now.

Poor connection in the slot maybe? Make sure the pins are alright (not pushed aside and are clean etc).

RaptorZX3
October 23rd, 2014, 04:01 AM
it seem to work fine now, this slot seem to be ok. Good thing is this NEC Ready 9012 have 2 PCI slots, just enough to have a video card + a Voodoo1 card beside it. Even if it's a Pentium 100Mhz, the Voodoo1 card seem to run fine with Tomb Raider Gold (using the 3DFX patch included on the cd)