PDA

View Full Version : newer system different problem ntfs to fat

wdegroot
October 27th, 2014, 02:53 PM
First I have saved many of my old files on several hard drisks ( oopied from fading cd;'s)
since win xp tends to get screwed up,. Icopied and cloned a few extra drives using 10g and 20gb drives as an os..
I fond a working install from last august. thought all the older ones were lost.
It is NTFS, newer installs are all fat32. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to convert a drive to fat from ntfs. it id simple to go to ntfs.
I wonder if there is a free program that works?

I still have all my 1980's d/l on on cd ( several copies)
but the newer stuff is scattered on 6 or 7 hard disks.. I can acess all. but that lack of a coverter vexes me. I have other fat 32 xp dives from the same original cd. but I hate problems I cannot fix.

gslick
October 27th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Do you want to convert from FAT to NTFS, or from NTFS to FAT?

If you want to convert from FAT to NTFS, Windows includes the CONVERT utility to do so:

C:\>CONVERT /?
Converts a FAT volume to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume will be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert will be run in verbose mode.
/CvtArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory
that will be the place holder for NTFS system files.
/NoSecurity Specifies that the security settings on the converted
files and directories allow access by all users.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All open handles to the volume will not be valid.

Chuck(G)
October 27th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I don't know about converting from NTFS to FAT, but you can certainly copy NTFS files to a FAT32 volume. Just use XCOPY /S to do the deed.

Caluser2000
October 27th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I don't quite understand why there is any need to convert the ntfs file system of a working OS install of XP anyway. As Chuck says use xcopy or just copy any files you want to archive over to a Fat32 volume and use just about any reasonably modern OS to access that drive. That also includes later Dos variants.