PDA

View Full Version : Building a Win98 PC to transfer files to 5150

KLund1
October 31st, 2014, 04:26 PM
HI all

I built a 98 machine so that I can read/write 360K 5.25" and 720k 3.5" floppy disks. This is so I can get files with my main PC, put them on a USB stick to transfer to the WIn98PC then to my 5150, and Atari PC-1.

But I can only access the FD at the end of the floppy ribbon cable.

In the BIOS I can select drive A and B as active and to the correct capacity.

But when I boot to WIn 98SE, WIndows Explorer only 'sees' the drive and the end of the cable.

I have swaps drive position. No difference. I have removed the FDD driver from Device Manager and rebooted, but get the same result.

I have tested both drives and they are in good working order. The 5.25" has jumpers. I have selected each jumper setting, reboot, no change. SO it is no back a position 2, which should be cable select.

The documentation for my MB 'says' that it can have 2 FDD attached. But it doesn't seem to be the case.

This is driving me nuts, I can't figure this out.

Part used.
MSI GD 865 GV-L Motherboard, matching 3ghz intel cpu
Alsps DF354H 3.5 FD, or a Toshia ND-3561GR
Mitsumi D503 5.25 FD

Any suggestions?

Stone
October 31st, 2014, 07:35 PM
What happens when you boot from DOS? Do you have access to both floppy drives? If you boot from DOS and can't access both floppies then your hardware setup is incorrect.

MikeS
October 31st, 2014, 07:41 PM
The cable must have the 'twist' and both drives must be set as the second drive (drive 1 if the DS jumpers are labelled 0 to 3, or drive 2 if 1 to 4).

KLund1
October 31st, 2014, 08:00 PM
When I boot to dos 3.2 I can only get one FDD to be accessed, the one I booted from, the 5.25", as that is the only DOS disk I have. But I thought that was because of the low version.
The cable has the twist, as it currently installed, after the first FDD. The BIOS shows an A and B floppy drive in the set up, each with it's own drop down menu for capacity. SO it stands to reason that an OS should be able to see both drives.
If my motherboard can't actually access 2 floppy drives, can anyone suggest a socket 478 MB brand & model number that will?
Thanks for the quick replys!
KLund1

SpidersWeb
November 1st, 2014, 03:07 AM
You may be able to set the options in the BIOS, but I don't think your southbridge chip is actually capable of switching drives. My understanding is that Intel had cut that feature out by then.

Could be wrong, but I generally recommend a Pentium era motherboard for this reason.

Chuck(G)
November 1st, 2014, 10:00 AM
If the BIOS offers choices for 2 separate drives, I'm inclined to think that two drives are supported. What does your floppy cable look like?

archeocomp
November 1st, 2014, 11:24 AM
Well I specifically bought an ABIT mobo AN-M2HD because I found it to be perhaps only one for Athlon X2 that should support two floppy drives. Although I can set second drive in BIOS, the PC can not access it. The same problem. It is not cable problem in my case. I have successfully put three floppy drives in one of my XTs and have two drives in rest of them, so I can connect it properly.

PeterNC
November 1st, 2014, 12:50 PM
I recommend using INTERLNK/SVR and/or FastLynx with a LapLink cable to transfer files. Good luck.

MikeS
November 1st, 2014, 01:13 PM
...It is not cable problem in my case. I have successfully put three floppy drives in one of my XTs and have two drives in rest of them, so I can connect it properly.So it should be really easy to plug the cable/drive combination into one of those XTs just to absolutely rule out a jumper/cable issue.

3pcedev
November 1st, 2014, 02:57 PM
I've found Win98 to be quite buggy when it comes to FDD support; especially with 5.25".

For example I have a Win98 SE machine, A: is a 1.44mb 3.5" and B: is a late model 5.25". If I put a disk in a: and copy things to/from it I have no issues at all. Similarly if I put a disk in b: and copy to/from it then it's fine.

If I accidentally click on b: in my computer and there is NO floppy inserted it will do the usual "Please insert a disk". Then no matter what you do (disk in/disk out) in either the a or b drive it will ALWAYS say "please insert a disk" and the floppy heads will make the quick head scanning sound like there is nothing in there. The only solution is to reboot the PC.

This is VERY annoying when I need to use HFVexplorer to make MAC disks. It automatically scans both drives when you load it up; if I don't put a dummy disk in drive b you are totally screwed. Even if you do remember it sometimes randomly fails when writing to the a drive. Disabling b drive in the bios magically makes everything work again.

Chuck(G)
November 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM
Well, I think if you take a step back to a Socket 754 or 939, you may have have better luck. I've got two Socket 754 boards here and they both have 2-drive support. AM2/AM3 is where it starts to get pretty dicey.

Stone
November 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM
What happens if you swap the floppy drives so that A: is the 5" and B: is the 3"? Does the "Please insert a disk" message stay with the same floppy or does it stay with the same drive letter? What you've told us so far does not absolutely prove that it's the drive that's faulty. It could be something else, e.g., ribbon cable, CMOS setup, motherboard etc.

3pcedev
November 1st, 2014, 03:56 PM
What happens if you swap the floppy drives so that A: is the 5" and B: is the 3"? Does the "Please insert a disk" message stay with the same floppy or does it stay with the same drive letter? What you've told us so far does not absolutely prove that it's the drive that's faulty. It could be something else, e.g., ribbon cable, CMOS setup, motherboard etc.

Absolutely true. I have swapped the ribbon cable / drives / drive order (i.e. 5.25 as A, 3.25 as B) with no change in result.

The please insert a disk and 'head scanning like nothing is there' will occur on both drives once you try to access the 5.25" drive with no disk present. It is entirely possible its the FDD controller or some other motherboard related hardware fault. My bet is with the controller as the PC in question is an early 'slot 1' Pentium II which wasn't exactly designed with the 5.25" in mind.

I stopped looking into it as it's not too much of a problem. Both my XT's have ethernet now and my mac's have Zterm running. Plus I can get around it if/when I sporadically need to.

KLund1
November 2nd, 2014, 05:17 PM
Well, I came up with a quick solution for my particular issue, after I slept on it a couple days. Use an external 3.5" drive. I got on off ebay for $9. It will fit just right in the current 3.5" bay, and the cable will reach out the back to a USB port. Waiting for it arrive to test this idea, but the theory seems ok. But i'll bet win 98se will not recognize it. we'll see.
I'll post results.
Thanks everyone.

lysinger
November 20th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Well I specifically bought an ABIT mobo AN-M2HD because I found it to be perhaps only one for Athlon X2 that should support two floppy drives. Although I can set second drive in BIOS, the PC can not access it. The same problem. It is not cable problem in my case. I have successfully put three floppy drives in one of my XTs and have two drives in rest of them, so I can connect it properly.

I think the athlon II is a bit too new for this purpose. I built an AMD K6II 400 with windows XP and I have 1.44mb 3.5" and a 1.2" 5.25" working successfully. I chose the board specifically as it supported high density 5.25" in the bios and 2 floppy drives. as a cool geeky aside, the 5.25" drive has a different icon than the 3.5" drive icon... I'd never seen it before.