PDA

View Full Version : Blue PET different?

falter
November 7th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Question.. is there anything different hardware wise with the blue pets vs black? I'm trying to decide if I should acquire one. Prices seem to be all over the map.. but they don't seem to be as rare as they once were. If it's just about a sticker and bezel.. not sure it's worth the $300 shipping charge.

MikeS
November 8th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Question.. is there anything different hardware wise with the blue pets vs black? I'm trying to decide if I should acquire one. Prices seem to be all over the map.. but they don't seem to be as rare as they once were. If it's just about a sticker and bezel.. not sure it's worth the $300 shipping charge.No specific difference AFAIK (other than the higher price) but around the same time as blue went to black the cassette drive was also changed and the screen went from white to green. I've never seen a time line, but I suspect that the board using 6540s and 6550s was probably the first one and the ones using 2114s and 2332s came along later.

falter
November 8th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Hmm... my black pet has white screen (still non working), and the 6550s/6540s.

MikeS
November 8th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Hmm... my black pet has white screen (still non working), and the 6550s/6540s.

Yeah, I don't think it all happened at the same time, and quite possibly the different versions overlapped if they were made in different locations. Also, there was a lot of mix and match going on when they were repaired or upgraded; for instance I have a blue label white phosphor 6540/6550 PET with a 'real' keyboard.

billdeg
November 9th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I believe black with white screens and blue pets with white screens were introduced at the same time, as part of the original launch. I debate the blue was first theory. I have a blue bezel unit, so I am not biased. My opinion is based on early photos of PETs. I think the white text is a better indicator of "original PET" than the bezel. ROMs can be swapped out, but it's harder to swap in a white text display (why would you back then?)....It may also be that units with blue trim around the monitor but a black name plate was first.
b

snuci
November 9th, 2014, 07:00 AM
... It may also be that units with blue trim around the monitor but a black name plate was first.

... with white keys on the tape unit, from what I've read.

I have a complete mixture and serial numbers don't appear to make a difference from what I've read as well.

I know there's probably not straight forward answer to this but is there a way to find a build date somewhere?