PDA

View Full Version : Weird networking problem between WFW and Ubuntu

Billyray
November 11th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I have a AMD 386 @ 40 Mhz running Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) on the home lan, as well as a Dell AMD Turion @ 2ghz running Ubuntu 12.04. When I browse the drives on the 386 machine from the Dell, I can only see directories and files with no extensions (.txt etc.). Nothing else will show up. But if I take the extension off in the 386, then the Ubuntu machine can see it. When I am in the 386 machine (in Windows for Workgroups) I can browse the Dell Ubuntu machine drives and see everything (but long filenames are condensed and a lot of file names are gibberish) Any ideas? :confused:

Another experiment I tried is copying a gibberish file name (but it had a .txt extension) from the Ubuntu drive to the C:drive of the 386 WFW and opened it with Notepad. It was perfectly legible except that at the end of every sentence there were two vertical bars. Is there a character encoding issue?

Caluser2000
November 18th, 2014, 08:22 PM
The 8.3 dos file convention in dos easily explains the shortened file names.

krebizfan
November 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM
The line ending problem is a historical long running issue. Unix and derivatives end each line with a <LF>. Early Mac used a <CR>. Windows and DOS before it <CR> followed by <LF>. Move a file between systems and the lines will look weird.
<LF> = linefeed
<CR> = carriage return
Notepad being incredibly simple does not correct for the differences between how lines end. Some other text editors and word processors do have the ability to correct for the problem. Similarly, some Linux programs can output text files with Windows style line endings.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/18/91899.aspx
http://www.editpadpro.com/tricklinebreak.html

I found networking between Linux and Windows to be such a hassle that I switched from trying to get SAMBA to work to instead copy files over to a FAT32 partition and reboot the Linux machine into Windows 98. I hope you have better luck.

Chuck(G)
November 18th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I think it's probably better to use ftp to transfer files with Linux systems. You can select the mode of transfer to handle the differences in line endings.

As far as long file names, that's a problem with pre-MSDOS 7 /Win95 systems. You're restricted to 8.3 and that's pretty much it. After that, MSDOS has long file name APIs implemented. You can try DOSLFN (https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs/what_lfn.en.htm) to improve support for long names on DOS 6, but you're probably going to run into problems.

There are more significant problems with DOS/Windows machines and file transfers with *nix systems. For example, Linux/Unix treats upper- and lowercase alpha as distinctly different characters. So, while Linux has no problems with two files in the same directory named "MyFile" and "myfile", it confuses the hell out of Windows, which views them as the same thing.

Billyray
November 25th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the replies! :cool: I don't have any NEED to do file transfers between Ubuntu and WFW, but it is SO CLOSE to working, I thought maybe there was some little thing I was missing. :confused: There was no problem with long file names, just ordinary 8.3 file names with extensions! Without the extensions, WFW could see the file on Ubuntu, (and transfer it) but add a 3 character extension, and it disappears. :confused: For that reason, when I browse Ubuntu I can see lots of directories, but virtually no files.