PDA

View Full Version : Cirrus Logic W95 Drivers

Agent Orange
November 15th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Looking for Cirrus Logic 542X VGA drivers for W95B. This part of my 386 project.

Thanks in advance for looking. :D

P.S. I have a boat load of OS/2, NT, and W3.1 drivers.
Also, I have the 546X drivers but I'm leery that they
might bork the system.

Bump my request:

The Win95 CD driver library has a bug. When you attempt to install the Cirrus Logic 542 drivers, it can't find CIRRUSMM.DLL. If anyone has the drivers for the CL542 series video card, I'd appreciate the help.

Stone
November 15th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Why cancel when you can delete the message?

Agent Orange
November 15th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Why cancel when you can delete the message?

I don't see an option to delete.

Stone
November 15th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I don't see an option to delete.Try the Edit option. It's there.

Agent Orange
November 15th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Try the Edit option. It's there.

No. The 'Delete' function is on the other posts but not on the original thread, at least what I can see.

Stone
November 16th, 2014, 03:09 AM
No. The 'Delete' function is on the other posts but not on the original thread, at least what I can see.Maybe the delete option is only there until there is a reply and after that it disappears. But I believe it's there initially.

Agent Orange
November 16th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Maybe the delete option is only there until there is a reply and after that it disappears. But I believe it's there initially.

I think you can delete responses to the thread but not the original posting itself. Maybe a Mod can clear that up.

Stone
November 16th, 2014, 08:13 AM
You're probably right.

njroadfan
November 17th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I don't recall Cirrus ever publishing Win9x drivers for the CL-GD542X series cards, the driver is built into Windows 95/98. I can confirm it works since it did back in 1995 when we installed Windows 95 Gold on our 5428 equipped 486. I also have a 486 here with yet another 5428 card running Windows 98SE without a problem. If anything there should be a file called CIRRUSMM.DLL somewhere in the CAB files on the Win95 install media.

Agent Orange
November 17th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I don't recall Cirrus ever publishing Win9x drivers for the CL-GD542X series cards, the driver is built into Windows 95/98. I can confirm it works since it did back in 1995 when we installed Windows 95 Gold on our 5428 equipped 486. I also have a 486 here with yet another 5428 card running Windows 98SE without a problem. If anything there should be a file called CIRRUSMM.DLL somewhere in the CAB files on the Win95 install media.

NJ thanks for the above. I found CIRRUSMM.DLL floating around the web, however I need sharpen what ever 'skills' I have left to get it to integrate during the install process. I'm wondering if the W3.1 driver set might work - I might give it a go. I need to fix this situation as the 16 colors default is cramping my style, so to speak. Question: Do you remember having to 'jump through hoops' to get the driver set to install? Also, just about all of the driver sites that I recently visited for the 542X, turned out to be 546X or something entirely different.

njroadfan
November 17th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I don't recall any problems installing the driver. The Win98 machine, I just manually selected something like "Cirrus Logic" from a list of graphics adapters in the Add New Hardware Wizard as I switched the video card in that machine. If the card is a CL-GD5429, it might require a driver. I keep seeing that model lumped in with the 5430/5434 drivers. Window 95/98's driver installer tends to be very liberal with where it will pick up drivers from, it'll grab them from the original cab file, or from another location if you point it there. You can install the Windows 3.1x driver, but I don't recommend it.

EDIT: OK did some digging in the Windows 95 OSR2 disc. cirrusmm.dll is definitely in the cab files.

Agent Orange
November 17th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I finally got the driver to install after about 5 or 6 attempts. The card that I bought was old stock NIB and came with the manual and a Win3.1 - OS/2 floppy. According to the manual, the card is capable of 1024 x 768 x 256 with Win3.1. I can only see 800 x 600 x 16 in Win95B. That's good enough for now, but I think I can wring a little more out buy experimenting with different driver combinations. I'm going to try both, the Win 3.1 & Win98 drivers just to see what happens. BTW, on the final install attempt the process didn't ask for the Win95 CD. It was at that point where previous attempts returned the "CIRRUSMM.DLL Could not be found" error. Seems to me that WIN95 is just as spooky today as it was 20 years ago. Also, I searched all the CABS on the Win95 CD and found no reference to CIRRUSMM.DLL. I'm assuming that it's embedded some where in the driver package. However CIRRUSMM.DRV was found in CAB 4. Anyway the little 386 is working just fine and doing everything one would expect.

Agent Orange
December 2nd, 2014, 06:58 AM
A little update on my 386 video situation:

My drivers are okay and the system runs fine. The CL-GD5424 card lets me run at 800 x 600 with 16 colors. The specs for the card max out at 1280 x 1024: 16 colors; 4 bit-planes & 256 colors; 8 bits/pixels. Note: all from the manual. Apparently, the reason for not being able to grab more colors is that when I go to 'Monitor' tab under 'Display', it tells me that it's unable to adjust the refresh rate. I'm using an old Dell E153fpc 15" LCD. There are no monitor drivers available for W95 (for this monitor). For now, I suppose I'll have to live with that, as I have no plans for up/downgrading the monitor (I like it). BTW, I installed a 40 MHz math co-processor and my version of Quick BASIC 4.5, seems to recognize it.

geoffm3
December 2nd, 2014, 08:23 AM
A little update on my 386 video situation:

My drivers are okay and the system runs fine. The CL-GD5424 card lets me run at 800 x 600 with 16 colors. The specs for the card max out at 1280 x 1024: 16 colors; 4 bit-planes & 256 colors; 8 bits/pixels. Note: all from the manual. Apparently, the reason for not being able to grab more colors is that when I go to 'Monitor' tab under 'Display', it tells me that it's unable to adjust the refresh rate. I'm using an old Dell E153fpc 15" LCD. There are no monitor drivers available for W95 (for this monitor). For now, I suppose I'll have to live with that, as I have no plans for up/downgrading the monitor (I like it). BTW, I installed a 40 MHz math co-processor and my version of Quick BASIC 4.5, seems to recognize it.

The color depth has nothing to do with the refresh rate. Are you sure the card has enough memory to support the higher res displays?

FWIW, I also have a CL-GD54xx based card on a 486 running Win95 OSR2 and had no trouble installing the drivers from the install disk, and I run 800x600x256 just fine on an LCD monitor.

Agent Orange
December 2nd, 2014, 09:58 AM
The color depth has nothing to do with the refresh rate. Are you sure the card has enough memory to support the higher res displays?

FWIW, I also have a CL-GD54xx based card on a 486 running Win95 OSR2 and had no trouble installing the drivers from the install disk, and I run 800x600x256 just fine on an LCD monitor.

My card has at least 1 MB memory and that should be okay. I'm not so sure my drivers are 100% correct as they were fished off the net. As far as color depth and resolution go, the info above is what the system returned. What's the chances of zipping up your driver set and letting me have a go at them?