PDA

View Full Version : Pile of SGI INDYs

Tor
November 18th, 2014, 05:42 AM
At work we have some eight or nine SGI Indy pizza boxes which are going to get dumped. I'm going to keep one for myself for spare parts for the one I already have. I'm allowed to ebay the rest if I wish to, but then I will have to also manually clean out the disk of each of them - not the OS, just the company stuff (although these haven't been used for a decade or more, so this is old stuff). I'm not sure if that is worth the effort - is there any interest in SGI Indy boxes? (No CRT or keyboard btw)

-Tor

nuxi
November 18th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Interest? Absolutely, but I'd be scared of shipping rates from Norway/Japan.

NeXT
November 18th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Well they are good starter boxes for people who want a taste of an SGI, plus they don't need special monitors or keyboards to work.

barythrin
November 18th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Yeah the very nice part is they use regular ps/2 connections so great intro to Irix and SGI for folks. I'm not sure of the value they fetch though. The most difficult thing I had was finding an OS for them which blew most of my play time I could have had so that'd be awesome if you had a nice "secure" erase utility. Otherwise you may just play it safe and wipe or remove the drives prior to sale (less fun for the end user though). I can't speak too much though, I already have a small collection of them myself.

dans34
December 25th, 2014, 08:55 AM
id be interested in one depending on postage to the UK , i guess from norway it wouldnt be so bad ?