PDA

View Full Version : IBM Keypunch value

falter
November 21st, 2014, 10:19 PM
Saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321593760515

Pretty much exactly what I need for my TV Typewriter prototype replica. The seller doesn't seem to know the value? Hoping to hit him with a non offensive offer.

Brad

toober
November 22nd, 2014, 05:42 AM
That is from a Mohawk Data machine - probably key to tape. They are AWFUL keyboards.

I do not know anyone that likes MDS machines, so that will probably go unsold for a very long time.

--
Will

NeXT
November 22nd, 2014, 07:02 AM
I'd like the whole keypunch please. ;)

falter
November 22nd, 2014, 07:57 AM
Yeah.. looks on par with the first PCjr keyboard. But.. appears to be what I need to get a convincing prototype look. At least on the outside. I realized after getting into this that the foil patterns in the radio electronics mag were developed after the prototype.. so my plans to use those would make things a bit incongruous. Ugh! Wish there were pics of the prototype interior someplace.

That is from a Mohawk Data machine - probably key to tape. They are AWFUL keyboards.

I do not know anyone that likes MDS machines, so that will probably go unsold for a very long time.

--
Will

g4ugm
November 22nd, 2014, 08:09 AM
It has very little intrinsic vale. There is probably very little gold in it. The key switches perhaps a buck each. So I would say $10 + shipping.

If the value is what some one would pay for it, then the vendor ought to put his item where his wallet is. Set a low reserve and starting value, if folks want it they will fight for it. However I don't know any one who collects Mohawk systems, so I think my $10 about is what its worth.

The only thing that might increase the value is if a film company or similar wanted it for a SciFi film, they might pay above the going rate...

falter
November 22nd, 2014, 09:50 AM
I offered $50. Response was 'will keep in mind'. Can't blame him. It looks old and rare. Certainly I've not had any luck thus far finding one.

MikeS
November 22nd, 2014, 02:22 PM
I offered $50. Response was 'will keep in mind'. Can't blame him. It looks old and rare. Certainly I've not had any luck thus far finding one.

Looks pretty similar to the one I offered you a while back... (and I do ship to Canada ;-) )

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18333&d=1397885687

falter
November 22nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
I'm still interested.. just let me know how much and how and I'll make it happen. :)

MikeS
November 22nd, 2014, 02:45 PM
I'm still interested.. just let me know how much and how and I'll make it happen. :)See ya off-list