PDA

View Full Version : Hercules IBM 370/390/ESA/Zsystem emulator

Sharkonwheels
September 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM
If there are any old-timers on here, that did IBM 360/370/390, or the newer Zseries, ya need to take a look at hercules:

http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

I've ben playing with this for a few years, and it is pretty cool!
Available free IBM OS's are VM/370 Release 6, MVS 3.8j, MVT, OS/360, DOS/VS, DOS 3.4 .

Creative searches (eDonkey/P2P/Torrent) will reveal never stuff (OS/390, Zos, VM/ESA, Zvm, IBM ADCD's)

Tony

chuckcmagee
September 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Wow, I just got done installing that exact product recently. I quickly discovered how much I DON'T remember about JCL CICS, etc. It got quickly uninstalled after that.

DoctorPepper
September 28th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Cool. I was going to install it, but on a whim I checked the Ubuntu repository and voila! it is already in there. Now all I need to do is weave the magic spell to have it install on my system...

"apt-get install hercules" ;-)

I worked on the same floor with a ton of mainframe programmers from April 2001 through May 2005. I was really lost when it came to their stuff, because I've never had any mainframe experience.

Sharkonwheels: How well does this work?

Sharkonwheels
September 28th, 2006, 08:40 AM
It works EXTREMELY well - it boots up and runs every single IBM OS I'[ve been able to acquire, up to 2003 versions or so. I mean Zos 1.4/1.5/1.6, VM/ESA 2.4, zVM 4.4, OS390 1.x, etc..

Tony

NicolasF
November 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I want to try Hercules but I can't make it work, does anyone have any idea of I can install it?

mgrando
June 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hi guys. I kwon this subect is very old (maybe not), but i'd like to know if there is someone where can help to compile a cobol program at IBM Hercules on zOs 1.6 - I cant find the jcl. Thanks a lot.

Chuck(G)
June 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
The old domain (http://www.conmicro.cx ) is lapsed. You can find the emulator at http://www.hercules-390.org/.

But where is the 360/20 emulation? :(

linuxlove
June 23rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
i tried it -- then quickly uninstalled it as i have no clue on how to get the thing working right. anyone know how to get it working?

barythrin
June 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I may have followed a faq or just the instructions that came with it but having it up and working wasn't difficult from what I recall. I had it up at my last job but just for fun and to mess around and try to learn some OS/360 commands, although I think I was running MVS in it.

The hard part as a lot of folks probably found was it may be up and running, but as a completely new user what to do from there. That part I don't and didn't know enough to do much. I recall it took me longer to find a free 3270 emulator to test it with.

maintec
February 1st, 2010, 05:19 AM
How to download it?
Please help me..
Thanks in Advance..

joeventura
June 29th, 2010, 03:54 AM
It works EXTREMELY well - it boots up and runs every single IBM OS I'[ve been able to acquire, up to 2003 versions or so. I mean Zos 1.4/1.5/1.6, VM/ESA 2.4, zVM 4.4, OS390 1.x, etc..

Tony

Tell us a little more, like how does one bump into a copy of Zos 1.6?

Tried private message and you are ful!!

alexlloyd54
November 6th, 2010, 10:16 PM
you could use (eMule) and search for most of those operating systems, there are a lot.

or you could user (Torrent) but i think you would fine only (os/390) >> but the problem is that few users (seeds) are there, as far as I remember

anyway, with both ways (eMule & Torrent) your download would take DAYS cause the files are not small