PDA

View Full Version : Help me maintain a ZDS SS286 alive

simon
September 27th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hi,I have a ZDS SS286e, which has never been used since times. Apparently everything should work but. ..When switched on the screen displays the Setup config with: Hard disk drive:NOT PRESENT.
Following that there is a display of "MFM200 Command summary".
What could I do? Is the hard drive replaceable? Which model? Thanks for help?
Simon Cohen sgcohen@free.fr
Paris

TheEdge
September 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Well, the best way to know exactly the model of the hard disk is to remove it. I have the same machine, a zenith supersport and if I remember well, disassembling it is very easy and doesn't require special tools.

IBMMuseum
September 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Hi,I have a ZDS SS286e... ...Following that there is a display of "MFM200 Command summary".
The MFM utility is unique to the Zenith (and sourced from Zenith, like the the IBM N45SL laptop). You can run certain commands (use "?" to get a listing) to get or change the system setup. There should even be something to format the drive if needed.

IBMMuseum
September 28th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi,I have a ZDS SS286e... Apparently everything should work but. ..When switched on the screen displays the Setup config with: Hard disk drive:NOT PRESENT. What could I do? Is the hard drive replaceable? Which model?

http://www.zdsparts.com/zwl20041.htm

The "CP" harddrives are from Conner, apparently 20Mb & 40Mb stock. These should be smaller form-factor for being a laptop drive, most likely IDE. Might be easy enough to replace with a comparable model, with 512Mb as an upward limit.