PDA

View Full Version : connecting sparcstation5 to ultra5 via console port

hencehungry
September 28th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Can someone give me a step by step instructions on how to connect the sparcstation5 tty port to my ultra5?

Since I don't have a Sun monitor, will I be able to reinstall Solaris8 on the sparc via the serial port from my ultra5?

Thanks in advance

fxg
September 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I only have a SparcStation5, so I can't be sure as to how you can connect the two machines, other than a null-modem DB-25 cable. As far as installing goes, I've done ALL the software setup via ttya and it works great. Just make sure you have no keyboard attached to the SS5 :)

sbrown
September 29th, 2006, 03:06 PM
To add, whatever you use, just make sure you set your terminal settings on the ultra to 9600 8n1. The ss5 should have that by default.

hencehungry
October 1st, 2006, 05:28 PM
got a pc with hyperterminal connected with null modem cable to the ss5. setup as 9600 8n1. Nothing!

SS5 has no keyboard. What gives?

fxg
October 2nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
For some really odd reason, I can't connect to my SS5 from HyperTerm either. But it works great with Com [I use v7.6 at the moment]. It doesn't really make sense, but...

hencehungry
October 2nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Got com 7.6 and connected to com1 on my pc still no dice. Plugged in a loopback at the other end of the null modem cable and verified the cable is fine.

I'm missing something. Do I have to plugin my keyboard to hit Stop-A? is there any default switch inside to get console on tty-a (Serial A)? Don't want to give up yet! Thanks.

fxg
October 3rd, 2006, 05:35 AM
If the SS5 finds a keyboard attached, then it uses the local console [video adapter & keyboard/mouse]. If the keyboard is missing, it will work on ttya [and if you plug a monitor in it'll say something about working on ttya]. There's no switch or anything...

Are you sure the SS5 works fine? Or maybe the serial port has some problems. The big problem is that ttyb doesn't work the same way.

hencehungry
October 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks. I don't have a SUN monitor. Do you know if you can hook up a regular VGA monitor to it? I've seen some pin out for the 13w3, so other then connecting A1-red, A2-green, and A3-blue pins what else do I need to connect to get this to work? Hsync and Vsync? I've a sun keyboard and if this works, I'm all set :-)

carlsson
October 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
There are some issues about sync-on-green and that your VGA monitor should support it, but there are ways around it seems. If it syncs on green, only RGB and their grounds should be required to connect, according to a bit of Google search results. It may also depend on the frame buffer (graphic card) in the Sun, if it uses the composite sync signal or sync-on-green.

Here is a Sun 13W3 pinout, in case you need to look again:
http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinconvid_sun

Terry Yager
October 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
The Sun may be synching in a range not covered by the monitor, like mebbe 40 - 45Hz. Not much you can do about that, without spending a couple hundred on a special vid card. Try googling 'fixed frequency display' for more info.

--T

carlsson
October 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM
The pinout page and my memories match in the respect of sync frequencies: typically 66 or 76 Hz which are within ranges of most modern SVGA compatible monitors. In the computer club, we bought a couple of rather expensive adapters, but I'm unsure if they contained any more stuff than just rewiring leads. On the other hand, today getting ahold of a 13W3 connector itself may be almost as difficult or expensive as getting a whole converter.

fxg
October 4th, 2006, 02:27 AM
The 13W3 - VGA adapter has more than just rewiring... It usually has a small PCB with a bunch of filters, etc... My adapter has a small PCB; I'll take a picture if I don't forget :D

hencehungry
October 25th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Finally got my sparcstation 5 connected to an ultra 5. TIP connection via serial 3-wire null modem cable (2-3, 3-2, 7-7). That's it. Wasted $10 null modem cable and a gender bender (db25 to db9) for nothing.

HOWEVER, one question, how do I send Stop-A to the SS5 thru my terminal window on the ultra 5?

ahm
October 25th, 2006, 07:40 PM
how do I send Stop-A to the SS5 thru my terminal window on the ultra 5?

You mean, to drop to the "ok" prompt?
I think you just need to send a BREAK.
In "tip", that's "~#".

Personally, I use conserver (http://conserver.com/).

hencehungry
October 30th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Great, got everything working! Almost. :)

Using the tip connection from my Ultra5 (running 5.10) I was able to install 5.9 on my Sparcstation 5 no problems. Got a 36GB scsi disk and both CDs were installed without a hitch. Except ...

I can't get xdmcp running on the SS5. I did dtconfig -e, saw the dtlogin daemon running, tried to connect via xdmcp, screen hung. Telnet back into the SS5, dtlogin no longer running. Now when I tried to do dtconfig again, nothing happened. No dtlogin daemon, nothing. Reboot and right it again, still no dice.

What gives? Thanks in advance.