PDA

View Full Version : Does thi 8-bit multi I/O card exist?

nc_mike
December 1st, 2014, 05:06 AM
I am wondering if there exists an 8-bit ISA multi I/O adapter with ALL of the following support

1) 1.44MB aad 1.2MB floppy (2 drive) support; must have on-board FDD BIOS; must be bootable)
2) 2 com ports
3) 1 parallel printer port
4) 1 game port

Just curious as such a card could same me an additional slot if it exists or ever existed.

Regards,
Mike

Caluser2000
December 1st, 2014, 05:12 AM
You can use a generic multi i/o 16-bit ISA card in a 8-bit slot to give you those functions and serves the same purpose. Use Drdos 7 boot disks and it'll boot off 1.44meg floppy disks just fine There's a number of posts that mention this.

Stone
December 1st, 2014, 05:14 AM
Many IDE/IO cards have all that. I realize that they're 16-bit but it's possible the 16-bit function might only be necessary for the IDE function on the card. Can't hurt to try one in an 8-bit slot to find out.

Caluser2000
December 1st, 2014, 05:45 AM
The main thing to be aware of with these cards seems to be booting HD media using MS/PC Dos when fitted to xt class machines 8-bit isa slots. They'll boot 720k and 360k floppies fine though by all accounts. Also in MS/PC Dos you'll need to load a small TSR to access HD media. This TSR can be loaded/unloaded as required. ACs page documents this https://sites.google.com/site/misterzeropage/ so does one of Modem7s pages

Malc
December 1st, 2014, 07:24 AM
Like others have said, You can use a 16-bit multi i/o card in an 8-bit slot in the XT 5160, I have one in one of my 5160's, Floppy / Serial and printer ports all work fine (Never tried the game port). If you have somewhere to put the Bios like a Rom board or Boot rom socket on a Nic card you can use the XT-IDE Bios and connect a CF Card and adapter to the 40 pin IDE header on the 16-bit Card and that will work too as long as the XT-IDE bios is configured correctly, Also you can append a HD floppy bios to the XT-IDE bios and have HD Floppy support too, That of course depends on the size of the eprom used for the Bios. There are of course 16-bit multi i/o cards that don't work in an 8-bit slot.

Caluser2000
December 1st, 2014, 08:49 AM
To possibly answer the OPs original question- http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?25304-PC-XT-1-44-FDC-Multi-I-O-Card

stynx
December 1st, 2014, 09:22 AM
To possibly answer the OPs original question- http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?25304-PC-XT-1-44-FDC-Multi-I-O-Card

WOW ... a real gem. Lets hope sergey will design something like this with the addition of mappable UMB :-D

nc_mike
December 1st, 2014, 01:05 PM
Yes, that is what I was seeking, an 8-bit card that could boot off of a 1.44 floppy (no TSR), and also have parallel, game, and 2 serial. That board looks like it has all of that. Did you ever identify what make/model that card was?

Regards,
Mike

sergey
December 1st, 2014, 02:27 PM
WOW ... a real gem. Lets hope sergey will design something like this with the addition of mappable UMB :-D

It all takes time :-)

I was looking at some Super I/O chips, and it appears that Microchip/SMSC FDC37C669 IC is still being made, and sold by Mouser for $8.87/each (cheaper for larger quantities). It includes an FDC, two 16550 UARTs, multi-mode parallel port (supporting ECP/EPP), joystick port chip select (a couple more ICs needed to implement the joystick port), and chip select for IDE interface (reuse for XT-IDE/XT-CF?). Everything you need, except of UMB :-).

Now on the downside:
- It comes in 100-pin QPF package (0.65 mm pitch). Not terribly difficult to solder, but yet requires a good soldering iron and some experience.
- It is software configurable (I'd prefer jumpers :-)). The BIOS extension will need to take care of configuring addresses, port modes, and so on. It might be possible to store the configuration in the BIOS extension EEPROM (similarly to my FDC BIOS), or have an external utility to configure the ROM before programming it into flash/EPROM chip (similarly to XT-IDE).

alecv
December 1st, 2014, 09:42 PM
sergey, JFYI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GCS665-Multi-IO-AT-I-O-8-bit-ISA-2x-Serial-16550-1x-LPT-Controller-Card-NEW-/350884847856?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item51b25de0f0

stynx
December 2nd, 2014, 07:41 AM
It all takes time :-)
... Microchip/SMSC FDC37C669 ...

I have looked through the datasheet and the chip fits pretty much the requirements. By adding a UMB Option and IDE (CF) i could free 3 slots and make place for a ethernet-card and the Transcopy option board.

... i had no problems with soldering QFP-ICs whatsoever. Even the slightly smaller TQFP is not really hard with some training (having soldered and desoldered several 386sx/486SLC CPUs).

-Jonas